Wednesday, September 18, 2013

February 3, 1977



I like your stationery (heh, heh, a little joke -- it's the best I can do at 6:30 A.M.).  I just drove Brook to his bus stop.  Today is my day for grocery shopping & bank, etc.  (Did I tell you that we found a bank that actually gives interest on CHECKING ACCTS!!?!!)  6% --  monthly -- according to the lowest amount left there for the month -- a real bargain considering most of the banks around here change $3/no. service.

I didn't sleep at all last night.  I  must be nervous about something-- only my subconscious knows for sure & it's not helping my conscious out at all!  I re-read Walden Two (last night) since there wasn't much else to do.  Actually, the first time I read it, I only skimmed it.  Last night I found out why -- it stinks!  It must have been written with 10 year olds in mind -- kind of on a par with Nancy Drew (or what I imagine Nancy Drew to be like, since I never read any of that!)

I'm starting to get tired now.  Am I just perverse or what?  But I'm going to stay up 'cause if I sleep now, I'll be on an entirely different schedule from the rest of the world!  I realize that this letter isn't amusing (a slight exaggeration).  Have they all been bad?  I don't know why, but maybe it has something to do with not much happening to me right now.  When (notice the positive) I get a job, things will liven up!  Please don't hold these doldrums against me?

By the way -- did you ever receive the Xmas ornament I sent?  I sent some to Brook's sister in Florida & they never arrived.  The post office here is a joke, or maybe the post office in Florida is -- or maybe both?

I will answer some questions.

1.  Albums.  We spent $45 on them before leaving Pgh.  (I had to settle for Best of Mountain since Climbing is o.p.)  Since then we haven't bought any new one.  We do get quite a few from Brook's father every so often.  He works for Warner Bros.  He picks out a few of the new releases that he thinks we might like.  Sometimes he sends jazz & I like some of the ones he sends, but I've got to be in a certain kind of mood for it, you know?

2.  People here seemed to favor the execution -- at least, the ones I spoke to.  It really was a farce! Gary G. tee-shirts!!  I imagine the families of the victims were quite pleased to see people wearing those.  People don't seem to realize that it is not possible to legislate morality -- or even other social actions that don't attach themselves to ethics at all.  I think capital punishment does more harm than good.  If I were going to murder someone in cold blood, I'd be much more afraid of a life sentence in some hellish prison (Are there any heavenly ones?  Ha!) whereas, if I were publicity oriented an execution would sound just perfect.  I mean, if someone is insane enough to kill for the hell of it & allow his victims no dignity, then why should they mind execution -- no matter how gory?  And the idea of showing electrocutions on TV!  I'm sure the ratings will be high.  There are certainly a large no. of crazy "sane" people!  Oh well...I don't really want to make a value judgement!

3.  Gas shortages.  BALONEY!  Gas companies want money to develop more gas supplies.  Gov't doesn't act immediately.  People pay the price.  The usual!  (Recall the gasoline "shortages of 1973-74.  it's all a matter of $ & timing, but mostly $$$$!

4.  I think elec. can openers should be outlawed & all the other gadgets.  We got 2 for wedding presents & they're still unopened.   I hate machines, except where necessary.  Maybe I'm too primitive, but I like opening cans manually & I'd rather walk than drive (reasonable distances!), etc. But most people think that's C-R-A-Z-Y!  I was born at the wrong time...or maybe I'm still living my past life?

We've had a few days with no snow, although it's been cold.  (My quilt is coming in very handy!) The ski resorts here are suffering.  Also, they say we'll not have enough water for farming next summer.  Brook says it's always -30 out at the sites (& that's during the day!)  It's usually not that bad here.  Today it's -0 but I'm not sure how much.  It's very windy here, too.  Just walking out the door, I fell like the cold goes through my bones!

So -- what have you been doing to amuse yourself?  I suppose you've noticed that your favorite month is upon us?

This week was really exciting for me.  Brook has oral exams in 2 weeks -- so he's studying a lot. On Monday & Tuesday, I re-lined all the shelves, and on Wednesday I defrosted the refrigerator!! (ho, hum...sigh)   And at night I sew so I let Brook study without me pestering him constantly.  By the summer, I should have a new wardrobe (& hopefully a job to wear it to!)  I even broke down & made a shirt for Brook.  (He's only been waiting for it for 5 years!)  It's all finished except for the buttonholes which are boring & I hate them.  And it actually fits!  (Which is surprising, since I made it as a surprise & he never tired it on while it was in the works.)  Oh well, so much for the exciting life of G. M. E.  Next letter, if you're good, maybe I'll tell you how I dust the furniture.  (I'm saving laundry for a special occasion, because I know it's just your favorite!)  (Ac-cen-tu-ate the +; e-lim-i-nate the - ).  I do recall that song vaguely, but very vaguely.

Did you try out the spinach pie yet?  If I can find goat milk, I may make some cheese someday soon.  I'm sure it will be a great mess, but it will keep mt out of trouble!  Take care.  I really enjoy getting messages from you.  I'm sorry if I'm a pest.

No comments:

Post a Comment