Thursday, April 4, 2013

May 18, 1976 (Letter from Diane)


Bet you thought that since you hadn't written for so long, I'd answer quickly!  Well, I tried, obviously unsuccessfully, but a lifetime of procrastination cannot be turned so easily aside.

Congratulations on the new job!  It sounds very interesting.  And people tell me that Mass. is a beautiful state.  Most of all, I envy your lunch hour and a quarter, particularly when vying with the Bicen. crowds for a waitress' attention.  The size of the staff there surprises me - -writing and revising dictionaries must take more than 32 people.  Or else they're very industrious.  Anyway, I hope that you'll continue to be happy there.

To be very honest, I have put most of my last six months out of my mind.  At least as far as work is concerned.  It seemed like one crisis after another.  The climax of the whole mess was reached when four people were laid off and many, many more were downgraded.  Two engineers went from grade 9 engineers to grade 4 technicians.  In a way, it was relief -- the notices were originally supposed to be out in March & no one knew who or how many would be leaving.  Morale was zero. (Now it's 10.)  Now the fun begins with a couple of people considering civil service suits.  And we may go through it again in Oct. with the beginning of FY77.

Other than work, things have been going rather well.  I'm nearly ecstatic, actually this week, I'll pay off my school loan and my couch.  I'm planning on buying in order, a stereo, a dining room set, a Lay-z-boy, and a car.  That should keep in in debt for awhile.  Of course, if I'm laid off in Oct, it means bankruptcy.

I understand what you mean about trying to summarize six months in one letter.  It's futile -- but I am still upset with you for not calling or stopping by while you were in Philly!

Bev & I are trying to set a date for visiting Pgh.  Now it looks like the middle of July.  Any chance you could make it?

One favor -- please don't let them use "impact" as a verb!  Government has been using it that way for a while but now I see literates using it in magazine articles.  I feel like "impacting" them!

Enclosed is an addition to y our collection.  And this time, don't take so long!

No comments:

Post a Comment