Wednesday, April 17, 2013

June 30, 1976 (Letter from Diane)

Photo credit:  Production Cars

Finally some rest and some time to myself!  I've been doing a great imitation of the headless chicken for about a month now and am paying the price -- literally & figuratively.  But things are getting back to normal.

This merry-go-round started Memorial Day weekend with a trip home.  My sister returned with me for a change of scene and to help me prepare for an influx of relatives the next weekend. I decided to finally buy a dining room set so everyone could eat.  Did you ever try to have furniture delivered within three days of purchase?  Not easy.  But we did it and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.

The next weekend I went to the shore for the first time this season & it was miserable.  The wind was very strong and it stuck to the suntan lotion on everyone's skin.  We did see the flower show there so the trip wasn't a total loss.

Then came the big excitement.  My father called to tell me that the car dealership he works for got in a slightly used car in great shape with the equipment I wanted and was I interested?  I was, so I went home, looked it over & bought it.  It's gorgeous.  It's a 1975 Matador coupe with a red body & a cream vinyl roof.  The interior is black with white bucket seats and it's air conditioned!  The thought of all those car payments is scary but the price was extremely reasonable.  Unforgettably, it doesn't get the gas mileage the Ford did and it has a smaller tank.  Not realizing this, I nearly ran out of gas on the Schuykill Expressway.  Total panic!  But I managed to get to a gas station in time, thank God!

On Mon., my roommate from Penn State and her husband came for a few days.  He's going to Fordham in the fall and they're apartment-hunting.  They left Wed  and Fri., more houseguests arrived -- five, in fact.  A friend of mine from Altoona Public Library, two of her children and two of their friends stopped in route to NYC and on Sat., we left for the Big Apple.  The purpose of all this activity was to attend the ballet starring Margot Forteyn.  The whole trip, particularly the ballet, was great!  I came back feeling like I had two weeks vacation under my belt.  Over the 4th, I'll be home again, my sister will be down for the Elton John concert next week, it's Baltimore after that and then -- Pittsburgh!  Bev and I are planning to go the weekend of the 17th (if Brook doesn't have to go househunting in Idaho then.)  I really hope that you can join us there.  Bev wants to go to Poli's.  Remember when you, Bill Louden, Grayce & I went there and the waitress was so horrified when we asked for separate checks?   Maybe Woman's Lib has made more of an impression by now.  So, please try to wrangle some time off.

I'm happy that you're finding your job likeable.  (likable?)  Incidentally, I'm sorry to have let my ignorance of dictionary-making show.  But then, it's difficult to know everything -- not to mention boring.  It would be terrible to live without learning.

Enough philosophy.  I'm going to wash the dishes & soak my feet.  That's the kind of thrilling evening I'm having between weekends -- repairing the damage and resting up.

See you in Pittsburgh?

No comments:

Post a Comment