Saturday, April 27, 2013

July 7, 1976 (Letter from Renee)

It was so great to hear from you again.  Since you were so sweet about returning my letter, I felt I couldn't stall in sitting down to write a letter back to you.  So far my summer has been great -- hectic, but great!  I joined a health spa and now I go and exercise three morning a week to get my bod toned up since it looks sort of flabby since I took off so much weight.  I am also macrameing, which is a big hobby of mine.  I just finished doing a huge wall hanging for my brother and sister-in-law and I worked my fingers to the bone tying all the millions of knots in it -- but I sure am proud of the finished product.  Macrame is a very expensive hobby -- so I work at it when I have 10 to 30 extra dollar to throw around.  I would absolutely love to macrame a big tree hammock for the cottage, but it takes about 700 yds of rope and would cost me close to $100 to do it.  One of these days "when my boat comes in" I'll do it too.

Boy, Paul, it makes such a difference being off for the summer.  If I had been in school for even one more week I think I would have lost my mind!  I have really been working hard around the house.  When a person doesn't really clean a place thoroughly for a year, then it takes about 1 1/2 weeks to ear everything apart and put it back together again.  Morrey and I finally cleaned out our closets after living here almost 3 years and I shopped home (via my Dad) about 10 huge boxes of rummage.  Now that I've lost so much weight, practically nothing in my closet fits anymore so I had to give it away (HOORAY!).  By next week I will have taken off 50 lbs, but I have another 50 to go before I'm done!  I should reach my goal by Jan. or Feb.  Morrey had kept a Christmas club account of $500.00 for me just to buy clothes when I reach my goal and I can hardly wait.  We are thinking about going to Las Vegas and Phoenix, Arizona probably around Xmas vacation and I can hardly wait to display the new me!  I swear I'm going to find a long gown that really shows off my boobs and figure.  Something slinky, sexy, and for sure, seducing!

My parents were here last week for a visit and we tried to show them the town.  Went to a dinner theater to see Bob Crane (Hogan's Heroes) in a show called "xxxxx, darn, I forget what it was called -- but it was indeed funny and my parents loved it.  Last night we took them to see Harvey Korman (Carol Burnett's sidekick) in a show called "Norman, Is That You?"  It was really hilarious!

I was just in the middle of preparing my husband a real gourmet dinner for tonight when he called from work to say that a friend of ours is giving us free tickets for a dinner theater tonight -- so the hell with dinner!  I really enjoy potting around in the kitchen these days.  (Excuse the pun!)  I was making Rock Cornish game hen, rice, green beans, salad, and an authentic English Trifle for dessert -- but I will just put it off for tomorrow night instead.  I make the desserts but I stay far away from eating them. When Morrey eats his dessert I eat a piece of fruit, and my stomach doesn't know the difference anyhow.

We spent the 4th of July weekend in Chicago at my brother's.  They just bought a new house, only it isn't new cause it is 50 years old.  It was an honest to God mansion with 4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, 2 dens, a swimming pool and the whole bit.  We felt like we were staying in the "Grand Hotel" but it was sure fun.  I spent the entire weekend schlepping myself from my chair in the sun into the swimming pool and back again.  Needless to say, I'm none the worse for wear and tear.  My brother is doing very well financially and can afford to really live in style   I admire him and his wife for working so hard o get what they wanted.  My other brother in Omaha is moving into a brand new house this week.  They've been hitting my parents up for quite a bit of money,  which I don't think is quite kosher -- but it's really none of my business how my folks choose to spend their money.  I know that if Morrey and I really needed financial help (which, thank God we don't) they would never refuse us.  My brother in Omaha pisses me off a lot cause he "expects" my parents to give him material objects and monetary gifts.  If he showed a little concern for my folks and appreciations for what they do for him than I wouldn't complain, but he just keeps taking and taking as long as they're willing to give.  Oh well, I guess every family has its peculiarities and quirks -- mine is no exception.

Morrey has really been working hard this summer.  He started on commission June 1 and he's been really pushing it to make a buck.  So far, this month, we're in the hole, but next month looks like it will be a really good one.  I think that with Morrey being on commission we will be a lot more careful with our expenditures since we can never tell what next month will bring in.  I'm not worried and I have every confidence in the world that in another few years we'll be sitting kind of pretty ourselves -- if I live to see it!  HA HA

I really can't complain about anything Paul.  I have absolutely everything I want and more than I need to get along.  Morrey never refuses anything that is really important to me and we've really been putting money away in the hope that next year we can buy some kind of a house.  The way things are going with the price of houses, I think that about all we'll be able to afford is the garage or the basement!

It was great to hear the news you wrote about the "old gang of ours".  It would really be nice someday to have us all get together again.  Really, Paul, you are the only one of my friends from Warren over the years that I have kept in touch with, and I am certainly glad that we both don't mind writing letters once in a while.  Even though I might not write for months, I am always thinking about you and wondering how things are going with you.  My parents always ask about you when I see them.  As a matter of act, we're going to Warren this weekend so Morrey can fish and I can sit in the sun.  Morrey is nuts about the cottage.  Once he's there it gets really hard to convince him to ride into town to visit.  He has simple taste and one of his greatest pleasures is sitting in the board "washing worms" as he calls it, since he's never yet in 8 years of going there caught an edible fish!

I haven't read a decent book all summer and can't seem to find anything on the book racks that I like.  When you write back, please give me some "professional" advice on some good reading materials. I do like biography and historical fiction just about the best of anything in print.  I sure would appreciate some hints on good reading material.

Well, I'm doing the laundry again and I have to hang up our clothes so I'll be closing for now.  Hope this letter finds you well and prospering in Springfield, Mass.  By the way, have you been to Sturbridge?  We went last year and I absolutely loved it!  What interesting things are there to do in Springfield?  One of these days I might just hop in the car and drive out for the hell of it.

My typing has gone from bad to worse to please try to overlook the errors.

No comments:

Post a Comment