Sunday, April 14, 2013

June 11, 1976 (Letter from Renee)



I know that your letter to me must have been over a month ago, and I am quite tardy in responding. I have been super busy with the closing weeks of school, final exams and such.  Today was my last day and now I am off for the summer.  Already I've been home for 1/2 hour and I am wondering where to begin and what to do with myself.  When I came home and saw that there were no clean clothes for the weekend -- I knew that I had found my niche for the summer - HOUSEWIFE -- and I really don't mind that title a bit.

It has been a very long and strenuous and frustrating school year for me.  I have thoroughly enjoyed the kids -- and always will -- but the administration in our school is piss poor (you should excuse the expression) and it has made the morale on the faculty reach a new record of all time low!  If schools had no administrators I am convinced we would survive, much less improve.  Well, it's all over now and am I glad!  Morrey and I have come to the decision that next year will be my last year teaching at my school.  I do not intend to quit working (I'd go made if I didn't), but I would like to open other doors and other channels which I haven't yet discovered.  I am seriously thinking of starting my own tutoring "program" as an alternative to classroom teaching, and I'm pretty sure that I can get plenty of kids from the system where I teach -- so we'll wit and see what happens.  Morrey is forging ahead with his job as a salesman.  He just recently went on commission so we'll either starve or eat caviar!  He's really happy in what he's doing and I am pleased about that.  We are hoping to be able to save enough money by next spring to buy a house, but I am super particular and I think it'll take us awhile to find the right place.  I have champagne taste with a beer bottle income!  I am very happy with my lot in life and I certainly have no complaints.  Morrey and I have a strong marriage and we are our own best friends which I feel good about.

I started going to Weight Watchers in January and so far I've lost 43 lbs.  I have another 60 to go but I think I'll make it.  I hope to be 126 lbs or skinny -- whichever comes first!  I really am proud of myself for doing it since I didn't think I would have the willpower to make it -- but I love the diet and don't feel that I am depriving myself of anything by sticking to it, in fact, I'm gaining a lot of confidence in myself and I feel better about myself for doing it.  I always wonder why I didn't try and succeed in losing weight before -- but I guess I just wasn't ready for it.  Morrey is already saving up a bundle so I can buy a complete new wardrobe next year -- and I can hardly wait for the day when I can go to the store  try something on off the rack in a "regular" size, and take it home with me!

We haven't made a whole lot of plans for the summer.  I doubt we'll take any sore of "vacation" since the summer is Morrey's busiest sales time and we need to "make hay while the sun shines." We will definitely spend a number of weekends at the cottage in Warren cause 1: it's cheap, and 2) we both enjoy being there so much.  I particularly enjoy taking a fun vacation during the school year vacations.  We've been going to Las Vegas twice in the last 1 1/2 years, and given the chance we'll probably go out there again this winter.

We're planning on going to Chicago over the 4th of July weekend to see my brother.  Hopefully, my parents can get away for a little while and go with us. My grandfather's health is failing and he cannot be left alone for more than a couple hours at a time, so if my aunt comes to stay with him for a while then they can come here to see us.

How do you like your new job?  Are things going well with you?  What do you hear from the "old gang" of ours.  I can't believe that next year will be our 10th year high school reunion.  How times does indeed fly by!

Well Paul, my laundry needs attention so I'll close for now.  Please write back when you have a chance.  Your letters are always so enjoyable for me.  Take care and be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment