Saturday, March 30, 2013

May 14, 1976 (Letter from Ken M)

Michael Lally and Ken McCullough (1972)
Photo credit:  Lally's Alley

I've been gone from Montana since October and am not sure what's brewing out there.  I knew that Fred Perry has been shipped down the road to Idaho, but as to Gil's parole I don't know a thing. And I don't know much about what's going on with the new prison.  I will be writing Gil this week and will pass on whatever word I get from him. As soon as I get my head above water down here I am going to attempt to start a writing program at the prison here in Columbia.  There are several excellent ones going, especially the one at Arizona Pen.  Three of the men have books coming out and one has just gotten a sizable grant.  Even though they are still "within."  There's an excellent project brewing in N.C. called the prison-ashram project -- which attempts to convert all that spare time into spiritual pursuits -- so that, in effect, the only people behind bars become the guards. Bout all I can pass on at this point but will keep in touch.

[Teaching experience on Ken's resume:  Creative Writing Workshop, Montana State Penitentiary, Deer Lodge, Montana, 1972-75.]

No comments:

Post a Comment