Friday, April 19, 2013

June 21, 1976 (Letter from Sue)



You must've wondered why I didn't answer your letter with your offer to come down Memorial Day - -but alas (w/ regard to seeing you then, that is --) I was in California then, sunning myself by sailing on the Bay -- didn't receive your letter till I got home -- and I was so glad to hear from you!  Grant told me about your job with Merriam -- I've very glad for you.  Springfield is, I'm sure, a good place to live.  I imagine the competition for jobs there is pretty keen.  I assume G&C Merriam are the illustrious dictionary people -- next time we meet, I'll have to indoctrinate you to my new passion -- the Dictionary Game!  (Certainly a more intellectual pastime than swallowing goldfish, mescaline tabs, or chatting with senile sex-starved retired librarians.

I'm sorry we didn't have a better visit when you were her last October.  I don't think I was the Hostess with the Mostess.  It was a particularly difficult time for me, financially, and with regard to work, which seemed enormously hectic right then.  Plus the PLA Conference was, for the most part, was enormously tedious -- so much so that I'm going to give the conference syndrome another crack and go to ALA in Chicago.  I fear that it will be the Y rather than the Palmer House this time, though -- I can't afford the P.H. on my own.  (And naturally, I can't share a room with just n'importe qui.)  I don't suppose you are considering gracing the event with your presence?  (I.F. Stone will be there.)  Let me know if Merriam is going to send you, all expenses paid...

Since we may not see each other in Chicago, and since we didn't see each other Mem. Day -- what are your plans on the 4th?  Our friends Wendy & Ron (you watched Edward 2, or 13th, or 12th, at their apt) recently bought a house & we're planning a joint 4th of July Bicentennial Bash. Someone of your social grace, sizzling charm & scintillating wit would be most welcome.  Of course, the new love of your life (still Binghamton Harriet?) would be welcome, too.

I get this image of you from time to time as one of those ramblin' man types -- sort of a "Baby I'll love you today, but I gotta be on my way".  Do you think you've left a trail of broken hearts from Montana to Mass? I may sound facetious, but I don't mean to.  Actually, the whole male-female complexity of relationship is under review again by me.  I had some revealing experiences when in SF. . I intended to tie up some loose ends, but may have unraveled more than I tied up.  Men can be occasionally trying -- as can women, I'm sure.  Right now I'm into an obsession about trust, which is RARE.  Life becomes very heavy, to use the vernacular.  Sometimes I feel the need to immerse myself in frivolity. Hence one of my reasons for ALA.

I really loved being on the West Coast again.  Like you, I am entranced by the vast spaces.  I miss the physical beauty of central California.  I am beginning to feel genuinely oppressed by the East. (Another reason for ALA -- discreet, year-in-advance job-hunting.)  I don't think I can last more than another \year out here.  Fortunately, the job at Wynnefield (my "twig") is very satisfying.  And the kids make me happy.

For a quick change of subject -- sometimes I'm too lazy for neat & clever transitional passages -- have you seen any good movies lately?  I would list as noteworthy The Man Who Would Be King for the pure adventure & fidelity to the bones of the Kipling story, as well as remarkable portrayals by Connery & Caine.   Also Taxi Driver for diabolical cinematic genius & fine job by DeNiro.  And third, All the President's Men, just cause it was so satisfying to see a good old-fashioned detective story with a happy ending.  Actually, I felt that this was an inspiring film, on a level not created since some of the old 40s films.  I liked it because it wasn't a hype film, as it could've been.  I was also intrigued by Swept Away, which was really very clever in many respects. But I'm really fed up with the whole Wertmuller cult and have no desire to see Seven Beauties. We saw an old Renoir film which I hadn't seen before at the Philadelphia film festival (believe it or not).  La Chicune.  He really is the greatest -- probably even more so if you're French   I think movies are always more accessible in one's own language, culture, etc.  (Cuckoo's Nest needs no comment from me.  It's all been said.  It was in many ways very lyrical.  J.N. is my romantic hero.)

Well, m'dear, it's almost time for my beauty sleep.  And as the Big 30 is right around the corner, Lord knows a girl has to start thinking about those things.  So please don't be delinquent as I was, and write soon Y let me know about the 4th and ALA.  If Mayor Rizzo & the federal troops, as well as Mayor Daley don't turn you on, I'll understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment