Tuesday, August 6, 2013

December 10, 1976 (Note from Grayce)


I'm afraid I didn't get around to the calligraphy I had planned for this year.  Spent too much time on the ornaments could be the reason.  Laziness could also be the reason and a more likely one.  Oh well....maybe next year?

Did you get to visit Longwood Gardens with Diane and Bev as they said you would?  I hope so, but I'm sure they would understand if you couldn't do it financially.

We got an early Christmas gift/late housewarming gift from one of my friends from Villanova who's living in Reno now -- an encyclopedia of the Old West.  It's really a neat book and I've had lots of fun with it so far.  It's called Wild and Woolly and it's by Denis McLoughlin who's British, so reading about the West from his point of view is pretty different!  It's a very un-prosaic encyc., if you'd be interested.


There are 2 guys outside banging on our house.  A few of the pieces of wood trim were slightly warped & they are responsible for 1 y ear.  I have a feeling that this banging will do more harm than good.  They just don't build things the way they used to, I guess!  It's not only the craftsmanship that's not good anymore, it's the materials, too.  They can't wait for the wood to dry properly because of the wood shortages.  Soon, we may all be living in cement structures!  (Or maybe caves again.)  There is a man in this area who has built a cave-like home (it cost him $15,000) & he even has his own energy generator!  But the power company is still going to charge him (even more than when they supplied his power because there's some stupid law about holding power in reserve for people who generate their own!  Individualism may soon be dead in this society, I fear!  It's punished so much!

Well, anyway...we wish you very happy holiday with your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment