Saturday, August 31, 2013

Thursday, January 20, 1977 (Letter from Mardi)


Part of a Clint Eastwood double feature (the other being Dirty Harry) at the Eastfield Mall Cinema

Thought I'd better drop you a line while I have a few minutes here in the late evening!  Can't believe the end of Jan. is fast approaching!!  I will hopefully be in the hospital & skinny again the same time next month!

We are in the process of selling our little house here!  We are putting it on the market tomorrow. We have a chance to buy a duplex at Newcourt Place -- if you can picture or know where it is.  It's not a bad little area.  The house is large & the outside is in need of a good paint job & minor repairs.  Each half has a huge attic, 3 BRs, bath, large L.R., D.R. & kitchen w/ great possibilities! One half, the half we would take is in good shape.  We would paint & put in carpeting & baseboard heat.  The other half needs more repair to the walls but is in good shape -- we would paint & rent it for $160 or so & let the renters pay for the house.  The house is large enough that we could stay there with no problem but if we ever decided to move into a nice "new" home, we would have the additional income from both sides.  Anyway, we've talked it over w/ several realtors & bankers & we all agree it's a good long term investment.  There is some yard & what there is, is private & for 2 kids it's nice to be off a busy street.  Anyway, it all depends if we can sell this house for $17,000 & get the duplex.  Occupancy would be on a 30-60 day basis & our half of the house would at least be ready to move into, clean & new.  Marti will then have plenty more work on the other half!  Wish us luck -- I already told him I wouldn't be able to help at all w/ two kids & as far as packing anything it won't be such a hassle just down the street & all will be ready to be put into cupboards & closets etc.

Anyway, the main reason I sat right down tonight & wrote to you was because Yolanda gave Mike F. a call tonight & we got the story on him & his new marriage.  He said you knew but I didn't actually know if you knew at Xmas time or not!?!?  I just wondered if I should even mention it to anyone at all.  He said his parents didn't know & I'm not going to say anything.  Marti would never say anything anyway.  Does Barb know about him?  I guess I wasn't really shocked -- I think we briefly mentioned this type of situation 2/ Mike years ago but not taking it seriously !  At least he's happy & sounds content for a change.

Glad to hear your Christmas vacation did your "spirits" good as Yolanda mentioned.

The weather has been freezing & below freezing.  Mon. Tues. Wed. it never quite made it to 0!! The wind chill really hit everyone hard -- & it looks like fruits & vegetables will be sky high.

Barb has settled into her apt.  I gave her some odd pieces of furniture I had.  The apt is really nice for her.

Guess Joan is pregnant, feeling fairly well, he & Bill are having problems.  Carol & Terry were telling me how absolutely unbearable he was over Christmas weekend.  Guess he continually complains & Joan has said he hates it here now & wants to move back to Atlanta?!!!  Don't know how Joan gets such "problems".

Mother has been sick for two weeks w/ a cold & flu - -luckily she escaped going to the hospital & recovered peacefully at home.  She is much better.  I visited w/ her tonight.  Marti had a slight cold. Matthew & I have been very lucky so far.  I'm through w/ work now & have not been out too much.

Well, hope all is well w/ you & drop a line soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment