Thursday, September 13, 2012

January 21, 1974 (Letter from Dody)



I am so glad that I got your letter today.  It sure is great to hear from you again, and to hear that you're doing so well.

I'm sorry that I'm typing this letter but it's either this or you really won't be able to read the letter at all.  (You see my handwriting has gone downhill considerably since college.)  The other reason is because I'm not sure how long this letter will be and I want to be sure to tell you all of the shit.

Since the beginning of school I've been teaching and going to school at the same time.  I've been taking an IPS (Introductory Physical Science) workshop for 6 graduate credits in Philly.  I was also the assistant football coach this year and had a ball doing it.

About Christmas time our faculty decided to put on a musical so as to send our foreign exchange teacher, from England, down to Florida for the Christmas vacation.  Needless to say, yours truly got stuck with the lead, because he didn't show up for rehearsals.  (He who doesn't show gets stuck with one of the leading parts.)  Well, we put the show on within 3 weeks and made $901.  Enough to send this guy and his wife to Fla in style for about a week.

When I got home for the Christmas vacation the first time it was for only a very few minutes.  I did see Mike and he told me about his travels and schooling etc. and it seems that he's getting sick of school.  I really think that what Mike needs is to get out and work for awhile.  He's really getting hung up on society and its absurdness.  I really don't think that he wants to cope with what society has to offer and the responsibilities associated with it.  Hopefully, he'll outgrow his "bitterness" or whatever is bothering him.  It was real nice to see him though.  He's still got a lot to offer this world if he ever gets around to it.

I'm glad to hear that you are getting into the swing of your new "job".  It sounds as though you really dig this library science bit.  I sure hope that you can get a job somewhere, IN YOUR FIELD, because it is really a bitch and half when you have to teach or do a job that isn't your major field.  However, if one wants to get into a company or school, in my case, it sure does help to start somewhere.

Our new high school should be finished in September of 1975 and is supposed to be quite a school.  I got on the curriculum committee yesterday along with the other guy that I teach with.  We're hoping that this will be our foot in the door for a Biology position when the new school opens.  Here's hoping for the future.

During the vacation I spent a lot of time with the parents and had a fantastic time.  I've found them to be quite the friends as well as parents.  It was a nice stay and much too short overall.

New Years Eve was something different.  I started the evening with Gussie.  She was to come up to my grandfather's house for dinner and yours truly lost the key someplace.  Man, did I ever feel like an ass.  Believe me, a total ass.  She couldn't stay out for the whole evening so I then went down to the Knight's Lounge and had a fabulous time.

I've kinda taken an interest in a girl from back home but will have to wit to see what happens.  I won't expand on this point right now as I really don't think that anything will materialize.  Don't worry though, it isn't Linda Cummings.  Besides she's married and you wouldn't believe how lucky I am that I got rid of her.  Only time will tell in regards to this other girl.

On the local scene I've decided that they should name Warren Peyton Place with all of the crap that is going on there.  It is unbelievable.

Do you remember Tom Peterson?  Well, he married Bonnie Weldon a few years ago and now they're split up.  In fact, he's supposed to be down in Florida with Cathy Siegle, who is married to Dr. Gettes' son from Youngsville.  How true all this crap is I really don't know.  But I do know that Bonnie is in Warren without Tom, because I was with her at the Rathskeller for about half an evening.  So I've decided that I'm staying out of Warren for awhile until thing settle down a bit.

This summer I'll be going back to Edinboro, hopefully, to work on my master's degree.  It should take only two summer total to finish up and then I can take a rest for awhile.  It will be a nice change from this workingman's world though.  A bit of a grind but a little relaxation.

Well, I'm going to have to cut for now but will write again when I get the chance.  Write when you can and let me know the haps.


No comments:

Post a Comment