Tuesday, August 27, 2013

January 16, 1977 (Letter from Bev)


Sunday, January 16

Happy New Year!  Hope you enjoyed your holidays and your vacation from work.  I'm really sorry that you couldn't come in December, but the Brandywine River Museum and Longwood are still her and can be visited when you can some.

I don't remember how much I told you about my new job, so forgive me if I repeat myself.  I started working with Wyeth on Dec. 6th and so far, am quite pleased with the position.  I have a clerical assistant who is invaluable.  I don't think I'll ever take a job again where I don't' have some help. This library is smaller than my former library, but is used much, much more.  There's always someone in doing research or just reading the journals.  The big problem is space and I hope to alleviate that a bit by weeding the collection.  I just got some new stacks and this will help crowded conditions somewhat.  It's going to be a real challenge to get the place in shape and have it running my way!  My predecessor was not a trained librarian and had run the library for 25 years using some very strange methods.  You should see the card catalog!  I was so confused the first time I looked up something.  The filing was really screwed up and the cards are arranged in a most unconnected way.  Some don't even look like catalog cards!

The Wyeth plant where I work employs over 1,000 people and most of these work in the plant on the line.  Since such workers have to run on a very regimented schedule, the rest of the employees, office workers, etc., are also subject to the same rules and regulations as are the plant workers.  I didn't like the regimentation at first, but have adjusted now.  I have to take my break at 9:30 & 2:30 and lunch at 12:30.  Where I worked before, I went for coffee and brought it back to the library whenever I wanted to.  I guess I was truly spoiled.  Now I'm not even allowed to eat at my desk, which really is reasonable.  I go to the lunchroom now for breaks and lunch and do enjoy getting out of the library and talking to other people who don't drop into the library.  The food in the cafeteria is all subsidized by Wyeth and is dirt cheap.  Everyday you have your choice of a platter or casserole or 2 different kinds of soups, sandwiches made-to-order, various salads and desserts.  Platters, which consist of meat, 2 vegetables, roll & butter, cost $.70.  Not only is the food cheap, but it's good.  If they're serving something that I really like, I eat my big meal for the day there and just have a salad at home for dinner.  It really saves money.

The whole plant shut down for the week following Christmas and fortunately for me I was able to move then.  I moved here on Dec. 28th and am so glad to be living so close (2 mi. away) to my job. Moving was no fun!  I never realized that I had so much stuff.  I had boxes and boxes and boxes of odds-and-ends and made countless trips up and down the stairs.  It really tired me out and I'm so glad that I had the entire week off to get moved and settled.   Two of my friends from the hospital used a U-Haul trailer to move my furniture.  They didn't have a difficult job and in less than 3 hours I was all moved in here in West Chester.  My apartment is so much bigger than my former one.  I have a nice sized living room,k dining area, kitchen, bath, bedroom, and 3 huge walk-in closets. I'm on the 1st floor and also have a small patio.  I have room outside to plant flowers around the apartment and am looking forward to the spring.  Luckily for all my plants, I still get a lot of sun and didn't have to get rid of them for lack of sunlight.  The only problem with them is space.  I used to have very wide windowsills, but now I had to buy a little parson's table to accommodate the plants. My father is also making me another table so I can get the remaining plants off the floor.  I hung two plants by finding the beams in the ceiling.  That was an education in itself!  The only problem is that the beams re not in too ideal of a location for sunshine.  When the builder constructed this apartment he did not have plant lovers in mind!

Diane is coming to visit next Sunday, if it doesn't snow.  We have had a very bad week weather-wise with a lot of snow and unusually cold temperatures.  I guess you've had your share of now, too.  I'm quite ready for spring and I know that I haven't even seen the worst of winter yet.

My parents gave me money for Christmas and I'm planning on buying a bicycle.  Then when the weather gets nice I can ride it to work. The exercise will be good for me and will be a change from jumping into the car and driving off.  I might even try walking it some Sunday to see how long it will take me to walk 2 miles.  That would be great exercise!

I'm sure that I'll like living in the West Chester area, once I learn my way round.  Chester County is full of historic spots and I'm still quite close to Philadelphia.  I hope you can come sometime in the near future.  Let Diane or me know when a good time would be.  It might be best to wait awhile since the snow is so unpredictable.  Give it some thought, okay?

I hope you're getting along okay and are braving the winter.  Keep in touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment