Wednesday, May 23, 2012

June 26, 1972 (Letter from Gail)



I was really surprised to hear from you but very pleased.  It's been a long time.  Friends shouldn't let that happen.  But sometimes, I suppose it's impossible to stop it.  From your letter you sound like you're really enjoying your life and things are going good for you.  I'm happy for you.  I wish I could say the same about me.  I graduated from Edinboro State Coll. on May 21st, 1972, over 1 month ago.  Now it's June 26th and I am still sitting on my ass.  I am unemployed!  It was fine for about the first 2 weeks -- I really enjoyed the vacation and the care-free attitude I had.  Well, now things have changed.  I've changed and I need work.  I want to settle in Erie for awhile.  I've applied at some places, but no luck.  I took a Pa civil service test last week, but it will be 6 wks before I get my scores back.  I've applied all over Warren, but got the same story.  I want to work in a social service agency.  I grad w/ a B.A. in Psychology.  Get this pisser -- I was politely turned down by New Process today because I had a degree.  They felt that I would only be there temporarily and they want lifers!  I really don't know where to turn.  I want to go to Erie because of the guy I'm dating lives there, but I suppose if things don't gel there, I'll have to go someplace else.  I am going crazy being idle.  I am turning into some sort of vegetable who eats 3 meals a day and watches TV.  My life has changed so much, I really didn't want the year 1972 to start because I knew what it held for me -- Nothing!  Paul, if this sounds very depressed, despondent, and apathetic, please excuse, but those 3 words describe my present feelings.  I get these days where I sit and fight to hold back the tears.  It's one of those days today.  Well enough of that shit.

Last Fri nite Barb Check, Carol Gustafson, and I went up to Oakview and it was like our class reunion up there.   Dave Blair, Harry Spackman, Rick Brewster came over and sat with us.  What a group.  Mary Sandblade and Bob Thompson got married -- finally.  Oh Carol G. says hi.  I haven't seen Foster yet.  I would like to though.  Leslie Stein is home for the summer w/o a job.   Did you hear about Mark V. V.'s divorce?  I haven't seen him.  I was waiting to hear from him 1st, but so far nothing.

It finally stopped raining in Warren.  We were getting so much rain from Agnes.  But we didn't get flooded out.  Thank god.  Did you hear the rumor about the crack in the dam?  It's not true.  Christ, rumors travel faster than facts.

I guess that's all the depressing news I have right now.  Paul, the next time you're around Warren, Pa. get in touch w/ me I'll probably be here.  I'm so glad things are going well w/ you.  Take care and please write again.



No comments:

Post a Comment