Monday, February 11, 2013

July 15, 1975 (Letter from Diane)


I don't know whether I should be aggravated with you for not disclosing what the warden has against you or sympathizing with you over your cold.  Since you're probably over the cold, that leaves aggravation,  But I'm too droopy.  Maybe later.  (What is it, anyway/)

Everyone here is droopy.  It's been raining for almost two weeks with floods, lightening (I know) -- the works.  Montana weather seems great after 80-90 weather with 90-100% humidity. And they tell me August is worse.

Because we couldn't go to the shore, one of my friends from Penn State and I went to Longwood Gardens.  It was formerly the DuPont summer estate and now is 100 acres of the most beautiful gardens and conservatory I've ever seen.  Especially now that the waterfall is turned on.  After all that walking we were starved so we went to Chadd's Ford with the niave (?) thought of finding a pizza parlor.  What we did find was Chadd's Ford Inn which looked like a dump.  Actually it was a camouflaged Top of the Triangle.  Can you imagine cut-offs and a patched-up shirt?  It's a good thing it was early Sat night or we'd have been very uncomfortable   Expensive it already was.  We should have guessed - -it was right across the street from the Brandywine River Museum.

Do you have any idea when you'll be coming East?  Grayce told me early fall, maybe Sept.  I may be going to Dallas for a workshop on Sept 27th.  If not Dallas, maybe Colorado Springs.  So I hope you don't choose that weekend.  Please let us know when you decide.

Grayce was in town for the weekend.  Although we couldn't meet, we did get to talk, long distance, for almost an hour.  Sometimes I think that me and my friends (my friends and I) keep Ma Bell going.

Nothing much has been happening.  I'm longing to go to the shore again but everything is working against it.  If it isn't raining, something else, e.g., baby showers (I'm getting to hate showers), people visiting, etc.  Of course, I've just stopped peeling from the last trip 3 weeks ago.

Maybe there will be something exciting to report in the next letter, if we don't get flooded down the Delaware.  Meantime (nobody would ever believe I was an English major), keep in touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment