Tuesday, October 22, 2013

March 2, 1977 (Dora to Marion)

Former Paris Gibson Junior High School

Thank you so much for remembering my birthday.  Such a sweet card and I was happy to get a new towel -- such a pretty one.  Also I enjoyed your letter.  They are always so interesting and I like to hear all your news.

Expect Barbie was happy to be with you for Christmas.  It was nice you could have the family all together.  I can picture the fun you had.  It doesn't seem possible Barbie has been in the Navy so long!  (Or that she is so grown up!)  It will be nice if Larry can get over to visit her while she is still in Italy.  They'd have a wonderful time.

I was glad to hear Paul is resuming his music.  It is nice he s near your sister.  (I've forgotten where they live!)

A friend of mine in the building went to Ohio for Christmas & returned last month.  She said it seemed so strange to go out here & not see snow and not have to wear boots!!  We have had a ideal winter - almost like California.  We've had a little now, but the western sates need moisture now.

Revelations must be a universal book to study presently.  A friend who belongs to the Baptist Church said they were studying that book!  I could never understand it & didn't get much out of it when my class had it!

I finally finished "The Dragon" (by Jos. Hess -- a local author).  I don't remember if I told you I was reading it.  What reminded me of it was she based the story on Revelations & the Dragon was Satan.  Yesterday she came to our Book Club & reviewed her book -- but as I had already read it it was not so interesting.  She has a vivid imagination about people from Space taking over our world after World War III!

I haven't been doing much playing, but this morning our organist called & asked me if I'd play on the 13th so I'll have to get in some practicing.  We are using our new temporary prayer book now.  I don't like the change but I guess people in older days didn't like it then either!!

The Youth group took part in our service one Sunday last month & did an excellent job, and the Junior Choir sang.  It's good to listen to them.



Did you read about the movie Telefon (about a Russian agent?)  Part of the picture windows blowing up a building, so they used part of Paris Gibson Jr. High School which was to be torn down anyway.  They've kept the old building on 1st No & turned it into a Museum & Arts place.  It caused a lot of excitement -- took place on my birthday!  But the smoke afterwards was terrible.

Jean comes over once in a while and I also see Helen McLane occasionally.  Did I tell you I went to a luncheon at Christmas time that Eleanor Johnson had?  It was nice of her to ask me as I saw a number of Lutheran friends I seldom see.  (She collects angels & had them all over her house.  She has literally hundreds -- you never saw so many -- all sizes and descriptions!)

I think Helen McLane works with the Luther Leaguers, as a group of young people came and sang carols for the one Sunday service before Christmas & Helen was supervising them.

We are having Wed. evening suppers at our church during Lent.  (Also have services at 6:45 A.M. and at noon.)  Following the supper one can go to a study group or watch a film. 

You put me to shame with your afghan making!  (You didn't say whether you are crocheting them or knitting!)  I finally finished the one I started for my sister -- decided she didn't need it as she has a throw rug & the afghan was kind of big & heavy so I gave it to my niece!  I've been meaning to start anothr -- just for pick-up work when watching TV, etc.

Did you watch Roots?  I had read it in the Digest.  It was wonderful acting, but I don't blame the Negroes for not liking white people!  The way they were treated.

No, to answer your question.  I didn't get the flu shots.  I debated about taking them -- even went up to the Sr. Citizens' Building with a friend, but decided if I got them I'd go to my own doctor, but didn't get there!

I expect this is a busy season for you and Carl.  I have so many happy memories of playing at First English and little Paul climbing up on the organ bench to turn off the organ for me!

Well Marion dear -- I didn't mean to write a book! So I think I'd better stop talking.

Thank you again for remembering me.  It was dear of you.

Greetings to Carl & the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment