Sunday, October 13, 2013

February 23, 1977 (Letter from Barb L)

An evening trip to Amherst to see this Robert Altman film.


Yes I am writing you a letter on this fine spring-like day.  When the weather changes it's always time to get in touch again.  I always enjoy hearing from you -- your letters are so complete as to everyday life.  It's nice to revel.  Well, I have an event to announce -- ready?  Mardi gave birth to twin boys on Saturday the 19th!  Far out huh?  Baby A and Baby B have since been named Jeremy Glenn and Ryan Stephen.  I don't know which "Marty" was more in shock -- I think everyone was!  It was totally unexpected by all concerned.  Mardi had no trouble though -- she looked good even the same day.  Jeremy was 4 lbs 12 oz & Ryan about 6 1/2.  I went out Sat. Nite w/ Martin & Gino to celebrate (?) -- he still was in shock -- doesn't know whether to buy the new house & spend all that time fixing it up & have Mardi alone w/ three kids for a month or what.  I think Mardi is going to get into this a lot more than she did w/ Matthew.  She's breastfeeding the twins & feels like a first-time mother.  She comes home today & of course Yolanda is taking a couple days off work so things will be under control.

That was the big event of the weekend -- another one was Timmy's graduation from nursing school.  To celebrate all these occasions I gook Monday off as a mental health day.  We don't' get any holidays at all & I thought it was time for one.  Had to go to class that nite anyway.  I probably haven't told you (since I haven't written!) -- I'm taking a class at J.C.C. -- Film Study & Appreciation.  Went & borrowed the money from the bank to take it (duh!).  I really enjoy it & I like to have one activity during the winter.  I have gone from Auto Mechanics to Karate to Films.  You can't say I'm not open-minded!  I've found that the emphasis is more historical & technical than I thought it would be.  We're still on the early films -- Eisenstein, D. W. Griffith, etc.  We probably won't be seeing any new films.  I think our prof. has seen every film that was ever made.  He's very knowledgeable & really nice so it should be a good experience.  Orson Welles is coming to JCC the 30th of March & before that I have to give a report on the "Significance of Citizen Kane". 

What else have I been doing?  Seems like I've been planning a lot of parties!  First, the Youth Group (high school kids) & I gave a party for the workshop people & kids from special classes.  We had a band play & had a big time!  That was in January.  Then I had a party in the apt for Patsy's birthday.  Then I had a shower for Mardi, which turned out fine even though it was not your "traditional" shower.  All we did was eat!  I made all this groovy stuff -- it was fun.  Joan came up from Franklin too. (You know she's expecting also -- this summer?)

I've also been having ups & downs w/ Rick.  We're pretty much broken off normal relations but it's too early to tell which way it will go.  We have a definite difference of opinion in some very important areas.  (Bet you couldn't tell this was coming when you were here -- duh!)  To further keep things moving, Patsy is moving out this coming weekend.  She's moving into Grace's apt & will pay 1/2 of what she pays now.  Her finances are a mess & she's trying to get out of the hole & save money to move back to Minneapolis in June.  So I will be alone for awhile, going broke but I'm sure something will come up & change things.  That's been the pattern for the past year.  As soon as I get settled in one frame of mind everything changes.

Well, I'm at work &^ it's time to go do the mail.  I will do it & eat lunch & finish later.  I want to go out for a while too.  It is so warm out.  I can't believe it.  After the month of January this is like summer!  54!  See you later.

Back at the old job -- which is non-existent right now -- we're in limbo waiting to hear about funding.  For a month I've just been hanging in there.  That's why I'm doing the Grandview mail.  Gives me something to do.  This state of having no work to do is a new one.  If I have no work I'd rather not have a job at all & at least have the time to myself.  There's a meeting on Monday the 28th.  I should know by then what the story is.

It seems like I'm very busy lately outside of work but actually nothing of importance is happening.  The way this winter has been I've hardly been out of town all winter.  My plans outside of the day to day aspect of things are vague.  I know I should be out of Warren before next winter & I will be.  The idea of going back to school in Boston has been considered but not to seriously.  My attention is not on career matters now.  Seems to be focused on the personal.  At times when I see myself clearly I see how much needs to be done just on myself, but you have to live the other aspects of life at the same time too.  Seems that you always get that feeling around mid-winter that nothing will change so you just sit back & watch the tube or make yourself an ice cream sundae & let yourself have a few more cigarettes than you really need.  In order to get more fully into this mood, I bought a TV (used) last week & I've just been grooving out lately on old favorites -- MASH, Sat. nite, etc.  I guess I'm set for the rest of the winter.  Are you coming at Easter?  One visit before summer would be nice.  Th is was definitely not hte winter to be here!  Springfield was probably a hassle but be glad you werent' her w/ no roads.  Call me sometime if y ou get a chance (collect from pay phone) -- # is 726-1860.  Take care & keep writing!

I forgot to tell you "the latest" -- (Oh how gross -- I'm getting into gossip.)

Yolanda has a new boyfriend.  He's from Pgh or Erie & has a camp here.  From what I can tell, it's a really nice relationship & she seems to have perked up considerably!  Ain't love grand.  Even its invitations [?} aren't too bad, for a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment