Saturday, October 26, 2013

March 6, 1977 (Letter from Diane)

At the Springfield Museum of Fine Arts


Now that the winter that my dad says I can tell my grandchildren about is hopefully over, finished, ended, a memory, except for the potholes, you should really come to Philly & see what's left, besides the aforementioned potholes. The weekend before & after Easter are particularly good since I'm determined to see the Easter exhibit & orchid display at Longwood Gardens.  But if you can't come then, name a date.  Bev has a meeting the last Sat in April & we're both going home for Easter.  Otherwise, arrangements are flexible.

Christmas seems so long ago but it was one of the best, surprisingly.  I had thought that since most of my friends weren't going to be home at all or for only a few days, things would be boring.  Not so.  This year the McCrearys were finally able to drag Dad out of his chair for some socializing.  And most of my friends stopped by or called.  The week off really flew by.

Since Christmas, a lot has been going on.  Dad had his first major car accident when someone went through a stop sign and hit his car & kept going.  Luckily he wasn't hurt.  My aunt & uncle were nearly killed in a wreck two weeks later.  They've been in a hospital for six weeks & my uncle will remain for at least nine more.  Since he's nearly 63, he'll never go back to work for the railroad.  My car was broken into and the only things in it -- my insurance papers & maps were taken.  It has obviously been one of those bad times that occasionally happens in life.  All the more reason to look forward to spring.

How would you like to have a nun for a friend?  You may, if certain predictions come true.  Last year, my aide Kathy invited me to dinner.  Her husband's former teacher, Father Kelly, was also there.  (This produced an odd situation later in the evening when the party guests appeared & thought I was his date.)  Father Kelly is a very keen observer whose hobby is handwriting analysis.  He also has some psychic ability.  Anyway, he shocked me by saying that I had once seriously considered entering the convent (I had told no one!) and the chances were 60-40 that I still would.  This has been making me uneasy for a year now.  So Kathy had us both to dinner & a party again and I asked Father if he also knew the reasons why I had decided against the religious life.  He said yes & that he would write them down for me & send them through Kathy.  She also conned me into giving him my signature.  I'm most anxious to get this list and see how accurate it is.  Really, though, it is most disconcerting to have someone probe your personality like that.

Work has had it usual ups & downs.  This week I finally received my microform equipment.  But.  The people in the dept. dealing with office equipment ordered the equipment I had specified but forgot the paper for the reader/printer.  Of all the stupidity.  A lot of excitement is being generated by a million dollar civil suit one of the lawyers has filed against his former boss.  The lawyer has asked several people on the staff, including me, to testify for him.  Rumor has it that papers were served this week on our commanding officer (a colonel) and the Chief of Engineers in Washington.  No wonder our Personnel Chief retired suddenly last month.  And to show you what a bunch of yoyos these people are, our above mentioned CO went in search of our technical writer since answers to Congressmen's letters were going out late, badly prepared, etc.  He found out what everyone already knew.  The writer was demoted in a reduction in force last year & took a $2500/year pay cut.  It was too much & he left.  The Col. had thought that no one had taken any cut in pay.  Now here's the unbelievable part.  That writer has filed a complaint with Civil Service and if he wins (which seems possible) he will recover full back pay from Aug. 1.  And the C.O. doesn't even know he's gone.  I pray this country never goes to war because we'll surely lose.

Enough of work.  After all, I have to go back tomorrow.  But speaking of work, I'll debate the superiority of Spic & Span over Pine-sol when you arrive.  Love house-cleaning, huh?  In my more meditative moments, I have sometimes wondered if my life today would be different if I never had that ferocious hatred of housework.

I must do my homework for my needlepoint class tomorrow.  Hope to hear from you soon.

P.S. if you haven't seen "Rocky" yet, please go!

No comments:

Post a Comment