Sunday, June 2, 2013

September 20, 1976 (Letter from Harriet)



Well, here I am in Rhode Island.  So many things have happened to me in the last few weeks.  I think that I'll be brief and give you a better view of my present life when I see you next.

I am living in a beautiful house on a suburban type island.  The house has lots of big windows which look out over the water.  The location is nice because on one side of us is a salt march and on the other, an estuary-type ocean inlet.  It is quiet and peaceful, and I am very happy here.

I live with two really fine women.  They are also returning to school after 2-3 years of absence, and we have developed many areas of common interest.  They are good people, too, and we have found a bond of trust between us.

School is very exciting.  Oceanography is fascinating, and I'm glad I came here to study it.  I'm taking "Biological Oceanography", "Physics", & "Calculus".  Now that I look at it, it probably doesn't seem that great to someone who's not into it.  As for me, I'm ecstatic!!  Today I went on a field trip and was studying the "Rocky Intertidal zone".  What really happened was that everyone went rock climbing & sliding down rocks covered with algae.

My life has been one of perpetual motion.  Packing, unpacking, etc. was really a drag.  Then came the hassle of getting my courses settled in school.  Finally, in rapid succession, came a visit from my parents, a wedding in NYC, a visit by some friends and a wedding in Binghamton.  I'm tired from all the moving around and am quite content now that it's all over.

It would be really nice to hear from you -- my # is 401-789-8970.  You are only about 1 1/2 hours away form here, so we should try to see each other.

P.S.  How the yoga comin'?

No comments:

Post a Comment