Sunday, February 16, 2014

September 25, 1977 (Letter from Mardi)


I'm mailing this letter via Warren Waterways.  I feel water-logged & soggy around the edges -- will the sun ever shine again long enough to dry things out?  That's the question!  Would you believe tornadoes in Edinboro & Erie?  I don't recall more than a few nice days since the weekend of the 4th!!!

Things are going fine here.  Marti is still working on Blackman's house & he's development a cold which has been bringing him "down".  We are all steering clear of him.  The work will be another week for sure & Blackman's house will look great & ours will have to be finished!  I am so afraid of winter -- YUCK!  I'm getting sweaters out, sweatshirts, wool slippers.  I have vision of walking around the house in my overcoat, mittens & neck scarf!

September 28, Wednesday

I can't seem to get a letter out in one day anymore!  Really not much going on these past couple of weeks.  Barb has only a few days left at work &^ should be moving in another week.  Rick was all set to come here, quit his job, etc. & then the whole thing went bad.  Barb cannot accept him on any of his terms & he's not "progressing" at all>  Supposedly, it is over.  Barb has got to get some momentum behind her & go -- she really has lost a lot of ground & I don't know how she'll survive going back to Boston.  She has no amount of money, no worldly possessions of any value.  If she doesn't get settled somewhere soon she'll  never get anywhere!  I felt for a long time I was being unfair, but it's definitely Barb.  For as long as she's been here in Warren she should have at least made an advancement in some way.  I realize materials things are not her scene but I'm not into materials things either but I want nice things for myself & my appurtenance, I want people to appreciate me, after all I'm now a wife, & mother and I represent my husband & children & I want them to be proud of me.  Barb seems to care less.  She could be much more attractive & acquire better "habits"?  Also, there is no reason I can see other than pleasing her own "routine" for leaving job after job.  She's got to settle in on one job & move herself forward either in some career or in a relationship -- maybe by some miracle -- both!  I, too, can only see more hassle for her & I'm afraid she is the cause of most of her problems -- she, herself, hurts her own cause!  I just can't say anything to her though.  I don't feel I can for some reason; but maybe I should speak my mind. Like you put it if a person has no definite goals formulated they are treading water & that's what Barb has been doing since 1970!  It drive me crazy that she has the intelligence, maybe not all the opportunities open to her but she doesn't make the opportunities for herself!  BLAH!!  Over the years I can say I've had the opportunities to develop my life & career in anyway I pleased, sometimes we can't see the opportunity till some time later!

Everyone is restless.  I'll always be to some extent.  You have to be to keep on keeping on, but right now I'm very content to be near home & take care of my family.  It is good to improve yourself individually & have your "own time" in which to do it.  One must be careful, however, not to become too selfish.  I think that's where I ran into a lot of problem always out for #1 & I really felt it was right to always be concerned about myself above all, that I (& I only) had influence on people & a particular experience.  But it's just as rewarding to lay back & experience the well-being of others & not trying so hard to obtain one's own spiritual well-being, to give of yourself to others & not expecting any "spiritual reward" from it, just a feeling of contentment.

September 29, Thursday

This letter goes out today!  Barb called last night & never got back to your eltter.  She went down to see Joan & Bill & they are doing fine.  Bill is taking the total role of housewife & Joan is working. The baby was born with brain damage -- don't know if Barb told  you.  When we heard I thought it was "the straw that would break the camel's back" for sure.  They took the baby to the Cleveland Clinic for tests last week & found that 3 areas of the brain were damaged & only 25% of the optic nerve was developed.  My heart breaks for the little guy.  They really can't tell how extensive the damage is until they measure his rate of progress & see if he has fallen behind, which unfortunately will happen more rapidly probably in the months to come.  I just can't believe it -- if I were Joan I'd be at the end of my rope.  She has had the worst luck, but they seem to be doing fine.  Barb & I were worried about Bill doing his share.

Well, I must close & get back to house & kids, kids, kids!   Matthew had a great 3rd B-day 2/ toys & too much cake & ice cream.  His really doing good.  The twins are crawling & rolling & rolling & crawling all over.  Can't believe that in only 3-4 short months they will be toddling & I'll be going crazy!

Haven't heard from Renee & Morrey yet.  They will be busy w/ the new house I'm sure!  I even wrote to Dody.  This letter writing can be exhausting when you're out of shape like I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment