Saturday, February 8, 2014

Wednesday, August 24, 1977

"Country Breakfast" by Edward Lamson Henry
New Britain Museum of American Art

Figure while I have the time I'd better drop a line.  Just got a letter form Dody & he's in Memphis, Tenn. & an Ensign in the Coast Guard & they are enjoying the change from their teaching profession days.  I was glad he wrote & gave me the news.  I'll have to sit down some "quiet evening/" & let him know all that's been happening!

Can't believe the end of August is upon us & the Fourth of July was seven/eight weeks ago!  We've been to two wedding & have two more to go to & they are expensive!  My uncle Andrew got married Aug 13, what a shock!  He's 42 & we all thought he was a confirmed bachelor.  He married a girl our age & she's really quite a change from his style.  She's very nice & she's really patient, I can't imagine all the adjustments they will have to make, my uncle is very straight & very conservative.

Saturday, Sept. 3

Greetings!

Thought you & Rick Grey might be here for Labor Day so I waited to finish writing.  It seems to be a stand-off between Rick coming here & Barb going to Boston!  Don't have much planned for the long holiday.  Marti has been working on the inside of Jim Blackman's now to make extra money so we'll see what's up for Sun. & Mon.  We have a party to go to Monday but don't think I can get a babysitter.

The twins are really cute now & very comical, both are preparing to crawl & before I know it the gruesome twosome will be on the rampage!!!!

Joan & Bill had a baby boy Joshua & all are fine.  I'd like to go down & see her Monday but I"ll have to wait & see if Marti will be around.  I had a surprise visit from Dutch awhile ago. He & his wife were in Oil City & I guess they drove here from Minn. w/ another couple.  It was definitely a chock to see him on my doorstep.  We had a short but pleasant visit.  Sue Smith is now living in Mpls again!!  Staying w/ Mrs. Wise & her two daughters.  They are great people.  Her son Gordy was killed in Vietnam & Mr. Wise died unexpectedly in '73 of a heart attack!  I wrote her & now waiting to hear of all her traumatic experiences.  Wish I was in a position to just fly out for a long weekend any time I wanted!  Maybe if Marti gets a $10,000 raise next year?!!!!  $20,000?  Time is just flying around here.  Some friends of ours (Mr. & Mrs. Bathurst, Mr. B works in Sales @ Betts) just bought Foster's house.  Guess they are moving to Brockway, Pa., or someplace like that -- wherever Mike's relatives are.  Maybe Mike would come back if they are gone.  I want to get mom out to Calif.  My cousin lives in Tuscon & she'd have a good time visiting Mike.  It seems strange to be wondering around Mike's old house.  I fell like I'm trespassing!

Monday, Sept. 5

Will I get this letter mailed -- that is the question!  Labor Day 1977 & we did labor!  Matthew's B-day is Friday -- 3 years old.  I'll have to give him a special little party this y ear.  He's really been a good "little guy"!  I only wish I owned a bank.  Didn't do much over this weekend.  Th is year is full of child-care, I'm afraid!  And with any luck our house will be done.  We really want to winterize everything this year.  Utilities will put us in the poor house yet.  The gas company is really trying!

Well, take care, drop a line soon & let me know what's happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment