Thursday, March 27, 2014

January 4, 1978 (Letter from Grayce)


I certainly feel like a RAT (but then, w hat can you expect from someone who has been around cheese for so long?) but, actually, I do not really have that excuse to fall back on at this time -- my cheese job having been quit several days ago.  Maybe it was just that it took a few days for me to get the cheese fumes out of my brain?

I do have a new job (or at least, I think I do).  This is how it happened.  One night Brook saw an ad in the paper for someone to do layout and some light artwork for a local advertising paper & he convinced me (albeit, fleetingly) that I could do this!

So -- full of fear & trembling, I applied for this job and was interviewed by this nice guy whom I proceeded to convince (the emphasis on CON) that although I had NO knowledge of layout, photography etc. -- and I had some knowledge of printing typefaces (from Grant Lee's course) and points and sizing, etc. -- that I could do this job.  Now -- not being convinced myself -- it was certainly charming of me to convince him!  But I guess I did, because he hired me (although I'm sure he'll regret it at least once a day until (and if) I learn exactly what I'm doing.

I don't know what my hours will be because they're re-arranging things there, but I think I'll have 30 hours/week, which will be nice.

He also hired another older woman, who has been doing this stuff all her life.  Needless to say, I feel very DUMB.  But, even if I can't do this job and they fire me -- or tar & feather me, even -- I do think it will be worth it for the experience alone.  And I have been seeking a challenge for quite some time now -- so this must be it, I guess.  I hadn't quite expected it to come along in this guise, but now that it's here - I don't dare reject it without some kind of trying, because who knows when the next one will be coming and I don't want to get too rusty in the challenge department!

Well, here I am, babbling on about me & I haven't even wished you a Happy New Year or asked about your Christmas!  I'm sure you had good holidays, though did you do home, as planned?  I've never really liked the idea of New Year's Eve -0- so I'm not exactly a fan of what people usually do on that night.  Brook isn't either, luckily, so we usually spend a quiet evening.  One thing I did really love was the Mummer's Parade in Philly every New Year's day.  It's an old tradition, and I hope maybe next year, we'll get to see it.  Brook never had, so I think he'd really enjoy all the nice costumes and string bands etc.

It's been snowing here off and on (mostly on) since the weekend you were here.  Forget what it looks like on the ground underneath.  But I do love seeing the trees with icicles on them.  Having not had trees for awhile, I drink them in very anxiously now, every chance I get.

We got some of our vacation pictures developed & some of them are nice. (We tried to take some of the fireworks at Disneyland & naturally then didn't come out!)  Sometimes we'd like to get a good camera, but sometimes we both think we have too many possessions already!  The picture of Mickey & me is funny.  Brook is really thrilled with it & wants to carry it in his wallet &^ somehow, I suppose I'll let him, because I doubt that he'll ever show it to anyone!  (I wouldn't want someone's first impression of me to be "Oh, she looked like Mickey Mouse!")

Well -- that's enough nonsense for now, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment