Monday, February 3, 2014

August 22, 1977 (Letter from Renee)


I was so very glad to receive a letter from you.  I probably would have returned  letter sooner but we were in Warren on a 5 day vacation that turned out to be absolutely marvelous beyond description! We took another couple along with us.  Went to see Count Basie at Chautauqua, Niagara Falls for the day and night, and then we went water skiing on Kinzua lake for the entire day Saturday.  It was cold most of the time we were three, but the log fire at the cottage and good company we had made up for the lack of heat.

For once this summer I can write to you with good news and in good spirits.  We were able to purchase the house we had wanted and we should be able to move in there by the end of September.  Our new address will be 1311 Alvina Dr., Columbus, Ohio.  The house has everything I ever wanted in the way of a floor plan and conveniences.  It is a 1 story brick and stucco.  The kitchen opens up into a nice sized family room with a lovely stone wood burning fireplace.  It has three bedrooms and 2 baths, and part of the basement is finished off into a rec room.  The house is 13 years old, built by the Amish so it is sturdy and strong.   It has a good sized back yard with a privacy fence so Lady Sara Lee can romp and pee to her heart's delight.  Morrey and I are planning on painting the interior before we move in so everything will be fresh and clean.  I don't relish the idea of moving since we've accumulated so much furniture and junk, but we should have plenty of hep from our friends here in town, and with some organization ahead of time it probably won't be as bad a move as I anticipate.  I am going back to teaching in one more week from today, but at least I'll know that I am working to pay for something that I have really wanted.  Believe it or not Paul, this will be the first time in my whole life that I have ever lived in a real, honest to goodness house! Financially I don't feel that we've strapped ourselves, although we'll have to watch our pennies for the first few months until we get adjusted to all the expenses required in moving and setting up housekeeping in a new place.

Top answer your question, yes, we are planning on being in Warren over Labor Day weekend. They are having an unveiling ceremony for the stone of my grandfather's grave and we are required to come.  I do hope that you will call us at the cottage when you get in.  We'
ll be kind of tied up on Sunday, but Saturday will be free to us for visiting and goofing off!

It seems as though just when I am finally beginning to enjoy my summer vacation, it is now coming to an end.  This fall promises to be a very hectic and busy one for us with moving and the Jewish holidays and all.  I am going to try to get some boxes packed yet this week of stuff that is stored in closets which I'm not using.  any little bit I do now will be appreciated when we really start the moving process.

We went to my 10th year reunion and I thought it was a real bummer.  Don't think I'll go back for the 15th or 20th cause this one was a real bore.  Morrey and I left it by 9:30 cause they had a lousy rock bank that blasted our ear drums till we could stand it no more!

I will make this letter short in hopes that I can talk to you at length over Labor Day weekend.  I just wanted you to know what we were up to and to let you know that my life is perhaps getting closer to an "even keel" these days.

Please take care and be well.  Get in touch over Labor Day for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment