Sunday, March 9, 2014

November 5, 1977


I'm not unpacked yet, but I've almost given up caring.  I don't' want to move again (at least not with this much stuff) for a long time!!!  Of course, that's what I said last y ear, but in August I said to Brook -- "OK, where are we going now?"

Both of our parents are delighted, of course.  I kept imagining I'd see mine on the doorstep when we got here, heh, heh.  Actually, I really want to see them, but I'm not sure when they'll be up. Thanksgiving may not be a good idea, because then Brook's parents may feel hurt if they can't be here, too, but I think having them both would be too much.  We did that 2 years ago & it was a nice holiday but I wouldn't want to make a tradition of it.

I did have some bad news this week from home.  My "grandfather" died of a heart attack.  I really loved him.  He wasn't my real grandfather -- my grandmother married him 25 years ago, though & he always was awfully good to me & a lot of fun to be with.  I'll miss knowing he's there.  He was 90, though & he lived a very happy life, so I guess I'm not really "mourning".  I just feel sorry for my grandmother.  It must be awfully lone for he.  Oh well.  I'll get off this subject now...and get to a more pleasant one.

When would you like to visit?  I'm anxious to see you & hope we'll see you often!  Of course, I realize it's a long drive & I don't expect you to give up all your time -- just as much as you can. You know what a demanding wretch I am!

We haven't sold our house yet -- although we have a family interested, but there's a big different between interest and a check in the desired amount.  So we're still paying the mortgage there & the rent here, which isn't too great, but I guess I can give up a few luxuries!  I applied at Rochester Public Library but no jobs right now, naturally.  I also applied at Xerox, but don't really expect much.  I asked at Waldenbooks, but they don't anyone.  I hate looking for jobs!  I really despite "selling" myself to the interviewer.  I just get so lazy, too, when I don't get the first few jobs I apply for.  I know that's a very spoiled brat-type of an attitude but I certainly do feel that way.  I guess maybe I will be a waitress. There's a Lum's down the road -- I can always go there as a last resort, huh.  Also it's good exercise to waitress.  I have a sinking feeling that I will never be a librarian again, and also I'm not sure I ever even want to be one again!  The more I think about it, the more I wonder why I ever went to Pitt?  I must have had some motive -- probably because I was too unsure of myself to get a PhD in philosophy and teach it.  Of course, I chose the "practical" way out & now I can't get a job doing that, either .  Well, I won't torture you with anymore of these reflections.  I just feel like such a failure!

Well, this isn't going to be a very long letter, is it?  Please do write & let me know when you'd like to visit.  We actually have a guest room here -- no more couches for you, Tweety!

No comments:

Post a Comment