Wednesday, December 12, 2012

March 1, 1975 (Letter from Grayce)



I hope you are better from your flu by now.  When I saw this picture, I just identified with it so completely that it seemed I had to cut it out and use it.  I, too, like the little man, find it necessary to fantasize while awaiting the Lincoln Coach bus to whisk me away to the never-never land of Seton Hill.

Speaking of old Seton Hill (or Frigid Hill as the guys at St. Vincent's have lovingly tagged it), contract time is almost here.  I can hardly wait to sign another year of my life away.  Actually, I've assured myself of a certain amount of leeway t his time.  As of January (or even before!) Sister has been harping on whether I was going to stay, or not.  She wanted to know so she could make her plans for Sept.  I really didn't have much choice.  Brook was a big help.  He told me I could do whatever I wanted.  And he advised me later to quite and look for something else.  (ha!)  I seriously did consider it and he even said if I got a good-paying job anywhere else, he would quit hit job....and retire (no, actually, he said he'd just look for a job where I had gotten one), but so far, I haven't even heard of anything I'm qualified for.  And after seeing Harvey (still working in the pipe shop) I figured I would not find much.  I did apply for a job with an industrial library in Pgh. who wanted someone with 5-10 yrs experience.  I'm sure they had a good laugh when my application came in...oh well..

So -- about a week ago, Sister confronted me with the definite questions.  Yes? or no?  I figured that I had these options:  (1) say no...and be without a library job for the rest of my life and probably get a job at Sweet William's (which I definitely do not need), (2) say yes, and just suffer along with the same hours, the same low pay, etc.; (3) say yes, but...and make a few mild demands, i.e., a lessening of my hours and no night hours; (4) say yes, but...and make some outlandish demands, like a raise, a paid vacation, medical benefits, reasonably sane hours -- you know, really grandiose changes from the present situation.  Well, I wasn't in a (4) mood, but I also wasn't in a (1) or (2) mood, so I took a chance and said I'd stay if (3) and I just expected her to say "sorry, see you" but to my great surprise, she was really trying to help.  She said she'd do her best to find someone in Greensburg to take over my night hours and she did.  So I'm a little happier about it.  Starting in Sept. I will work every MWF a full day and one full weekend/month. The money hasn't been decided yet, but she said she'd try to get me more.  If she does it will probably make up for some of the hours I'll be losing.  And at least I'll have some time to myself to do things -- which is really what I want most.

Also -- Brook will only have to come get me once a month which I feel is the best part because, although he has never complained, I'm sure he wasn't thrilled to death about coming all that distance to get me 3 times/week.

I may volunteer for a few hours/week at Wilkinsburg Public.  Maybe then if they do get an opening I would have a chance.  And if not, I'd still like to work in a public library for awhile.

Lately, work has been pretty interesting, also.  The reserves don't bother me as much as they used to and I'm responsible for building up a new reference collection.  It's fun cause I just love to spend money -- especially when it isn't mine!  Mayr is also donating 1-2 hrs/week to show me how she catalogs so I'm getting more familiar with Dewey which I had never even used before GSLIS (and not too well at GSLIS, either!!!)

Sister has also left any Bicentennial celebrations ultimately up to me -- so I guess that will be pretty much fun. So, Paulie, I will try not to complain so much about this anymore.  I know it must be very dull.  

Here is a little quiz for you:  August '74.  When?  Actually, I know that's impossible, but I hope you do get a chance to visit in the near future.

I talked to Dr. Kolish and she's better than before, so I'm very happy.  She said to say hello.  I don't think she has any conception of how far way you are, cause she wondered why you couldn't come back "just for a day!"  I tried to explain to her, but you know how she is when she gets an idea into her head.  She's really funny.

Contrary to your guess, I'm not a February fan.  I can't remember more than one Feb that has been good and only a few have been tolerable.  How did you get to work when you car wouldn't start? Next February we'll see what can be done to improve the situation.  Of course, our polar bear friends do hibernate -- maybe, since you are somewhat related, you can emulate their good idea?

I must say, your story about the "escapee" really upset me.  For that man to die that way.  It's just too bad.  I do hope your next warden is a better one.

Diane tells me you're starting a tweety-pie collection   You can open up a tweety library, maybe.  If Brook and I do get a chance to come live in Idaho I will volunteer to be your archivist!

I wish you lots of fun in San Francisco -- you lucky person!  That will be an excellent vacation.

Well, I think I'm finally talked/written out.  Take care now.



No comments:

Post a Comment