Tuesday, December 10, 2013

May 29, 1977 (Letter from Barb N)

Modern Farm and Suburban Homes (booklet)

Hello, how are you doing?  I am doing fine considering that I am basically still in the same situation I have been in for quite some time now.  I won't try to suppress my dissatisfaction for my job or the Navy in this letter to you.  It would be too apparent to hide my feelings from you.

At work we have lost two watchstanders so they had to put us into three sections.  We are back working twelve hour watches, four days on and two days off.  It is a very shitty schedule.  But when you don't have any people to replace the other watchstanders you have no choice but to make the other watchstanders work longer hours with the same pay.  The Navy system is very unfair pay wise.  This command is short of people so times are hard.  Other commands who have too many people are on easy street with the same pay and bennies.  I feel like all I do is work and sleep.  I will be so happy when I leave here.  We will have a good celebration when we meet back in the States.

I am not sure when I last wrote to you so if I rehash some old stories please bear through with me.

I have been partying a lot but hardly drinking.  I never recovered from the night I got so sick on vino and now I can't seem to drink more than a few glasses at a meal.  At least my head isn't as fuzzy. I still enjoy sitting down and smoking a bowl.  I would prefer grass but I guess I will have to stock with hash until I get back to the States.  I am going to bring some back to the States with me when I get out of the Navy.  I will carve the inside of a candle out and melt wax back into the candle.  This will make the candle and hash inside airtight.  This seems like the best idea I have heard of so far.

Want to hear a shocker.  I am going to be getting married in a year and a half.  I don't like to use the word married, it always has given me a trapped feeling.  But I think that Leroy and I will be able to enjoy life together.  I have told him that I will still go through with my plans to travel after I get out of the Navy.  We would prefer to marry right away but I think it will be better to wait.  I want to kick back and take off my shell that I have worn since I have been in the Navy.  It will also give me time to think if I really want to marry right away.  I might have a different feeling along the road.  I don't think so but who knows.  If and when I do I will be living in Texas for awhile.  I wrote to Mom and Dad and told them that I might marry.  I wonder what they are thinking.

Leroy and I took a ferry to Ishica last Thursday.  An old man who was driving the ferry had me steer the helm for a good while.  Since I had my new OM-1 Olympus Leroy was able to get a picture of me at the helm.  We went swimming at the beach and laid out in the sun.  There were a lot of German tourists on the island.  We found a path that led up to a beautiful villa.  We took a devious path and smoked a bowl.  I think if everything went all right with my camera we should have some nice slides.

The Exchange finally got my camera last week.  I bought my camera right away.  I am so pleased with my camera even tho I haven't seen any prints yet.  I know that it will bring a lot of enjoyment in the years to come.  It is well worth the investment.  Now I have to make sure that I don't get it ripped off my some Italian (or American or anyone for that matter).

I bought a backpack at the sports store yesterday.  It is a good pack for $45.00.  I also bought a pair of good hiking boots for $25.00 which is a very good price.  He started off at $50.00 and came down when we told him we only had twenty mille.  I am ready for my trip to northern Europe in October.  All I have to do is make arrangements for Larry's flight over.

The Italians who work on base have been on strike during the past week.  They were out in the streets throwing glass and burning junk cars right by the base.  NSA is a dead end and so there is only one way in and out so it is easy to cut off the road.  They had the National Guard out trying to keep the traffic flowing and the Italians from causing too much damage.  I worked mids when they were out causing hate and discontent so it really didn't affect me.

They turned off the water in the section where the base is located at for 24 hours a few nights ago. I had a mid watch and I didn't know about it until I got to watch.  I hope it is not an indication of what the summer will be like.  It's a drag when you dont' have any water in the afternoon.  It also means that the electricity will be going out this summer, too.

I am planning on visiting you for a month in Springfield.  I am not sure when will be the best time to visit you.  Maybe after the Christmas holidays if that is all right with you.  I will probably stay in Warren for a month or so just to relax.

Not much else to say at the moment.  I hope you are happy in Mass.  If I think of any other bit of info I will add a note later.

No comments:

Post a Comment