Monday, June 4, 2012

August 11, 1972 (Letter from Mardi)



I certainly hope you got your raise and have had time not to ponder on the moves to be made.  How's that for advice?  I know actually what you're experiencing.  It's the old "what are you going to do now" syndrome.  When people begin to ask you that and you have a variety of four or five answers, you're in trouble.  Unfortunately, there is no cure but time and good nerves.  You've got to concentrate on one step at t time -- which is impossible because they are usually all related.  If I were you (good and easy for me to say), I'd put my efforts into getting to Buffalo and finishing school and getting a little money in the meantime -- if you can! Then after that, it's POW decision time.  There will be a number of ways to go but which will you take.  (I sound like an announcer for a soap opera.)  The lady or the tiger type of deal.  It's a royal bummer no matter what.  Maybe if Laguna had been a disappointment the very first time, things would have taken a turn, but such is not the case.  All you do is work toward something that seems to be the answer every time and when you've got it all, it is no challenge.  (Simple as that!??)  It goes like that continually.  If you got your fully equipped van, the ideas and drives you had along with your van may have changed.   You just can't win.  I can't see doing anything for a long period of time and being content with it.  Anyway, I wish you good luck and don't worry about your change of heart concerning your present lifestyle.  You do have to push yourself, I know, especially if you want to write.  You'll have to discipline yourself and your habits.  Cheer up.  That's better.
\
Boston was a good time last week.  I had to keep telling myself when I got to Buffalo to changes planes that I wasn't going to Jamestown or Pgh, but Boston!  I got to downtown Bos and to Harvard Square a couple of times.  Rick clued me in on the ins and outs of good healthy grass growing.  He even gave me a book so I can get started "properly".  Barb rented a car on Tuesday and we finally left for the Cape Wednesday, after it was doubtful on getting a tent.  Anyway we got to a camp ground in Brewster near Hyannis and set up our little home.  The tent was great, big, roomy and warm.  We fixed a fantastic meal and then at 9 or so we drove to the ocean, came back, smoked and drank.  Rick and I played cards and we were really enjoying the great outdoors.  Then the next morning as we were fixing breakfast Rick was cutting a piece of board with an ax and a hammer.  Next thing rick is spurting blood from the artery in his arm.  A piece of the hammer had flown off and hit his arm and lodged there.  So we immediately took him to a doctor who gave him a shot and wrapped the arm and sent us to Cape Cod Hospital in Hyannis where we spent the remainder of the day.  They took x-rays, but him in emergency and then took him up to surgery to repair the artery and vein.  The doctor had said it was very serious and was lucky that the surgery went OK.  Naturally, we had to wait during each procedure.  The doctors and nurses at the hospital were great though. So we said goodnight to Rick about 10:30 pm and went to see Linda and Kinky at Petrillo's where we had a couple of drinks and found out Linda was pregnant.  Such excitement in one day was too much.  Anyway when we finally got settled in our tent it started to rain.  We kept our fingers crossed and thankfully we stayed warm and dry all night.  Friday Barb left me at the beach all afternoon where I had a ball.  How can you get tired of the ocean?  YOU FOOL!   Just kidding!!!  One day is hardly a comparison to one month.  We left the Cape Friday around 6 or 7, and got back to Boston around 9.  Took Rick home and he has sworn he will never venture out of Boston again.  He's really getting paranoid about any travel at all.

So Barb and I stayed up all night Friday just about and we were rudely awoken at 12:30 by my mother -- who else?  So Sat we did the laundry and spent the day at the park.  The three of us went out to dinner and just mellonized at this fantastic inexpensive Italian restrained.  It would have been so much nicer without Rick's accident.  I got back Sunday and have been working around the house.  Larry, the owner downstairs, is pretty sure he can get Bill into his construction company, which would be nice.  Bill has been helping him build his new house and then I think we get a reduction in rent.  Larry and his wife are really nice.  They are always up drinking with us.  Anderson has applied at NSP and NWB -- electric and telephone, but they won't be able to let him know for awhile.  I know if he gets a good job he'll be better off -- not to mention how better off my state of mind would be!

I must close and get busy here.  Take care and I hope we'll see you after Labor Day?

No comments:

Post a Comment