Wednesday, July 11, 2012

May 14, 1973 (Letter from Tony)



I'm trying to work out a standardized letter opening, apologizing for not having written sooner.  Well, I haven't got it down, and I've written a few, trying to catch up for my laxness for most of this semester.

So what's new, you may ask.  Not much I would reply.  I'm into my finals stretch run.  Today was my last day of classes, my 1st year of law school is almost over.   No more classes.  It's really pretty exciting.  I now have to apply your two watchwords, patience and discipline to the utmost.  I decided about a month ago I had to start really working and I can say pretty proudly that I have done so.  Now, if I can keep it up, at a high level of intensity, for the next 3 weeks., I shall be satisfied and probably pretty knowledgeable.  This is only the second time I've ever been in a position that I wanted to put forth an extended effort, the first time being when I was working at Sunshine House, trying to get a house for us.  And this time it's much more intensive and I have to be much more self-motivated.  My somewhat lackadaisical philosophy on life has not had to respond with a concerted effort before and I must admit there were some transitional pains, but then I guess these must accompany most changes.  Life, and the way of living it are as one chooses, is based very much on how much of that pain a person wants to go through, how much he thinks the results are worth.

I've managed to keep some form of sanity by doing enough things outside of law school.  I've been to a number of the parks around here, been going to some concerts, most classical music concerts, I've gone to two major league baseball games and that's about it, at least since spring break.

My sister Rose, who was out here a week before spring break, is now an airline stewardess stationed in N.Y. flying TWA International flights.  While she was out her ewe traveled all over.  We had a rented car, and used it.  We managed to get to Yosemite, and stayed overnight, it snowed about 6 inches, we saw a bear that was 20 feet away, and in general were very much impressed by the place.  It's just magnificent.

Both of these vacation were very welcome, about that time I was into my mid-semester slump and was feeling pretty depressed.  My reaction to all the changes I've encountered out here hasn't been very good I really was bothered by many things, I would get depressed, lose confidence and patience, etc.  Coming from my very comfortable life in Buffalo, I wasn't prepared to have to fend for myself and my laziness added to the tendency to just sort of drift along the path of least resistance.  I now feel more in control, I just hope I can keep it together though finals.

This summer I'm going to travel to Colorado with Jim Holmes, my old econ professor at UB, and go horse back riding in the mountains, then move on to the mountains of Northern California for some more sigh-seeing, and we might possibly make it up to Alaska.  The trip sounds exciting, the only problem is that Holmes at times is somewhat overbearing and that I will have to put up with.

It certainly is good to hear of your good fortune.  Things certainly are moving along nicely.  My parents and I went down to the Kinzua Dam once, it's in a great location.  Despite all the beauty and breathtaking areas around here, my favorite area still is western N.Y. and northern Pa.  The trees, hills, greenness and freshness are what I grew up with and I've seen nothing like it anywhere out here, and I do miss it.  Well, I've come to the end of this letter, take care.  I'll be going back to Buffalo shortly after June 2, and we'll start our trip from there.  Hope to see you on the way out.

No comments:

Post a Comment