Wednesday, February 1, 2012

September 25, 1968 (Letter from Mark)


Well things seem to be looking a whole lot better now than they were a few weeks ago.  I guess it was just the adjustment and confusion and it took awhile to get used to it.  I'm in my permanent room now until my final permanent room is done.  Which should be by Thanksgiving.  There is three in a room.  My roommates are normal kids (introverts).  I haven't seen them except at night.

I've really met loads and loads of kids.  I have a date Saturday night to see the American Breed with an art student.  She's a model with hair like Mia Farrow.  She's nice but very different as I find all art majors are. I'm really finding that it is an honor to be an art major (painting and sculpture at this school) there are only 125 of us.  Everyone of my friends is in art and design.  There is only about 500 girls on campus now and of this 70 of 125 are art majors.  Which makes it really nice.  All the boys are hippies.  All of the art kids stick together.  It is really hard for me to associate with kids other than art & design.  Most of the kids consider the art kids as unique, truly individuals, and for the most part hippie-like thinking.  I eat with all these kids and do everything with them.  My two best friends are hippies.  One is form London, England and the other from New York City.  At dinner all the art majors sit together and talk about anything they feel like.  Some are into pot and others aren't.  I've expressed my views on smoking and they respect my views and really understand.  It's really surprising how these kids think and fell about everything.  They are considerate and most of them well bred.  Most of them dress mod, or really grubby.  I at least think they've accepted me for the way I am now and the way I dress.  Their clothes are nothing like what you find in Warren, for the most part they are from wealthy families.  But I like these kids and I'm starting to become very content with these kids.

My classes are starting tomorrow at 7:45 - Western Civilization and then I'm downtown every day till 5:00.  The art students are the only ones that have any classes downtown so this is really going to be great.  My classes are going to be really hard, but to me some of the problems are really challenges.  The push for creativeness and originality is really tough.  All the color scales we have to create, paint, and use.  Figure drawing, 3-d design, 2-d design, abstract formations, and on and on re the list of the classes I'll be taking.  Some of them are really over my head.

It sounds as though you are really having a good time at school.  The dates and everything.  Your roommates seem really great and you probably have a great time with them.  It sure sounds as though you have a great time of it [unintelligible] and everything.  There isn't too much drinking so far because it is really far to go to a bar.  Starting next week they'll have buses into town at night.

Sounds as though you're really having a lot of dates.  Lots of kids up here have friends that go to the University of Buffalo.  I envy you for being there instead of here.   You're at least with friends you've been used to all your life.  That's more than I've got.  It is really hard on me mentally (if you only knew) to know that these kids are going to be my best friends all through school.

Well, at least I'm not in the sea of depression I was before.  I really do like school and everything.  I'm becoming more and more serious about my work and trying hard to become creative and I just hope I can succeed.  Write soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment