Tuesday, January 22, 2013

May 15, 1975 (Letter from Barb)

Montana 1975

Hello.  I got back from my vacation to Atlanta.  Carla and I had a good time.  We took an eleven hour side trip down to Venice, Fla.  I got a little bit of sun.

My next trip will be home for the summer.  I plan to make it home the last part of July and the beginning of August.  I don't want to go home when Dad will be gone.  I'd like to make it to Warren sometime before, but I can't afford going home for such a short period of time.

Mom and Dad were talking of what we were to do.  They mentioned driving to New England.  So I hope to have an enjoyable time with the folks.

I bought a 10-speed bicycle today at the Marine Exchange for $76.  It is an AMF and it looks like a decent bike.  M.D. and Melody paid $150 for their bikes.  I can't see spending that much money on a bike.  Now I hope to get my rebate check so I'll be able to eat.

I got $6.00 more this paycheck.  I guess the govt is feeling quite guilty.  I will start getting my two year pay on the 11th of July.  I didn't even consider that money in my budget.  My goal is to save $1800  by September 30.

When do you plan to sell your car or purchase a new car?  What sort of condition is your car in?  If you want to buy a newer car and your car is still in some sort of condition would you consider selling it to me?  I don't want a car at the moment.  My bike will do fine, but I would like something in the fall.  I don't want to get anything fantastic.  Just something that will run.  I plan to live off base within next spring.  I'd like to get transferred somewhere away from Norfolk.

I want to start to get into a routine where I will be able to get involved in working with the land. (gardening, etc.)  At the moment I am at a standstill living in the barracks.  I would like to start feeling like I have a home of my own.  It's nice to save money for the future, but I don't want to by-pass my life now.

I heard your comment about the North Pole.  I guess we all get frustrated in some ways, but it's nice to be able to get made and really enjoy what we have with all that is going on in this crazy world now.  I'm just glad to be me.

I finally got to see Carla and I hope to see Max in the fall.  There isn't too many others I care to see.  But when is the last time I saw you?  It's been so long.  I'll have to visit you sometime, but I don't think I'll be able for awhile.  Are you going to take a vacation this summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment