Thursday, January 10, 2013

May 8, 1975 (Letter from Renee)


I received your letter yesterday, and since I have a few extra minutes in my study hall, I decided to answer your letter promptly.  I was very distressed to hear about the unfortunate accident Dale experienced.  I am sure that it created some emotional scars for him and for your family that will be a long time in healing.  In a way I really feel sorry for the kids that came after us in school because they had so many more pressures placed upon them, and the times are most difficult for young people to cope with.  Your letter was full of insights and some wisdom gained from experience of the years we spent in high school.  Gosh, looking back to that time of my life I am remembering how confused, frustrated and at times unhappy I felt with my situation.  It seems as though as I grow older my (our) problems become easier to cope with rather than more difficult. I've learned so much in the last few years and I know that I'm still "growing up".  One of the things that I was so upset about all thru h.s. and college years, I've finally learned to overcome.  I used to kick myself for doing things for others that I didn't want to do or need to do.  I was so afraid of people not liking me that I went to great lengths to prove my "undying friendship".  I've learned to 1) like myself more, 2) feel more confident and secure with my own ideas and opinions -- and most of all 3) I've learned to do what I want to do first.  Morrey has really helped me to be come (I feel)( a better person, and to express my feelings both positive and negative without being afraid of hurting someone's feelings or of saying the wrong thing.

I don't know Paul, but I look at it this way.  The good "old" days were fun -- but "today" is better and tomorrow holds much in store for me.  Morrey and I are both that way.  We enjoyed good times in the past but we wouldn't necessarily want to go back to the past because the present is (for us) much much better!  Enough of Prof Renee's philosophies for now!

Let's see.  We've been super busy lately.  They painted our apt and it is taking us quite a while to put it all back together   We bought some new furniture -- in fact, this is the first time we've been able to replace our "early attic-late basement" junk with quality furniture and I am pleased   Morrey got a pool table and he's delighted to play to his heart's content.  We'll probably live in an apt for another 2-3 years cause 1) we like where we are, 2) we hate moving, &3 who in hell's name can afford a house these days.

I am glad that school is almost over cause the kids are starting to get to me.  Each year they seem to be more immature than the year before.  I'm getting kinda of antsy to quit my job here in Arlington cause 1) the administration is lousy,  2) I'm getting bored teaching the same stuff every year.  I hope to quit in another year or two and go back full time for a masters.  In 2 more years Morrey should be doing pretty well as a salesman and perhaps we can be somewhat free of financial worries or obligations.  Maybe I'm just restless now cause it's spring and I don't really like being cooped up in the same place with the same sort of routine day in and day out.  It sounded to me as if you were experiencing the Montana Brand of spring fever too.

We've no special plans for the summer. . Hope to go to the cottage for the 4th of July.  I might go to Boston for 1 week w/ a friend from school.  We're really involved in too many things in Cols. to think about going away.  We're in a bowling league, and Morrey plays softball twice a week.  I'm going to take macrame lessons, and piano lessons.  I'm going to tutor some kids this summer too. Morrey invited me to spend a few days on the road w/ him so that I can see how he works and what he has to deal with in his job.  Should be interesting -- and besides it means I'll get to have a nice lunch w/ my hubby everyday at the company's expense.  Not bad.

Well Paul, the bell is going to ring so I have to go.

Be well and take care.

P.S.  I just finished Erica Jong's Fear of Flying and thought it was fantastic.  It really gives insight into woman's view of her role in life (sexual and otherwise).


No comments:

Post a Comment