Thursday, January 31, 2013

June 19, 1975 (Letter from Diane)



I'm very sorry to hear that you bug died.  I was certain it could survive anything when it made it back to Pgh after the five of us gorged at the Horn of Plenty.  What are you going to do without a car?  I'm miserable without one -- mine is an escape mechanism.  Besides, I've inherited my father's love of big, fast, gas-guzzling cars, particularly Ford Elites.  Of course, by the time I can afford one (long time), there won't be any gas.  Anyway, I hope you can work something out since being stuck in Deer Lodge doesn't seem to be such a great proposition.

Right now, I'm in the midst of a social whirl I may not survive.  The past six weekends have seen a trip, 2 trips home, 2 trips to my aunt's in Baltimore and 3 of company.  (All of which adds up to seven eight which goes to show what kind of shape I'm in.)  The weekend before last, a friend of mine from Penn State, her husband and 9 mo old baby visited.  It was a beautiful weekend so we trekked down to Atlantic City where they were holding an art show.  Some gorgeous paintings were shown that I would have loved to buy.  Unfortunately the prices weren't so gorgeous.  And  naturally I met one of my co-workers while pushing the stroller down the boardwalk.  Luckily, he had the tact not to ask.  My first roast beef dinner went very well and I'm still trying to figure out what I did right.

This weekend, three of my closest friends visits.  (It was a shame, in a way, everybody didn't get here on the same weekend.)  This time we went to Ocean City, N.J. and got burned.  Somewhere between medium rare and well-done.  I am still red and it feels like some midget demon is sticking needles in my legs.  However, I can now walk again.  Sat evening we went to Steak N Brew (just like Emerson's) where we shook with chills.  I had to send my dripping-red, supposedly well-done meat back and they burned it.  And the waitress had the nerve to ask me why I didn't enjoy my meal!

Just to keep things moving, I'm in a wedding at home next weekend, my sister is coming back with me for a week, and my parents will come down over the 4th.  So far nothing after that until August. I know that one of these days it's all going to stop an I'll be bored to death.  So I'll enjoy while the fun lasts.

Speaking of fun, the Depute District Engineer (who thinks he's 5 stars instead of LTC) called me in for an interview without notifying my boss.  He wants to discuss library policies and procedures on a regular basis which isn't bad but I'm not sure it's so good.   First of all, I'll have 2 bosses which makes for a delicate balance.  And I'm used to being on my own and making my own decision entirely.  I'm hoping I can work this set up to the library's advantage, but right now the DDE is relatively new and therefore unpredictable.  He does have those beautiful green eyes in his favor, if you want a totally feminine viewpoint which I'm sure you don't.

I'm going to put pa stop to this babble before you are convinced that the sun cooked my brain as well as my legs.  (To add insult to my literal injury, I also got my first parking ticket on Sat.) Anyways, I hope this awful red fades before I wear that apricot halter gown on Sat.

P.S.  Have you heard from Bill Snyder at all?  None of us know where he is.  Bill Louden is in Ohio and can hopefully reunite with us in the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment