Monday, January 7, 2013

April 25, 1975 (Letter from Mardi)


It was really strange to receive your letter late Fri night and then read of your brother Dale in the morning paper.  I haven't much on details but it's really a bad scene no matter how you look at it.  I felt like calling your parents but felt I wasn't close enough to them now to get in touch with them over the accident, I was just leery so I didn't call.  How is your brother doing?  Our baby sitter Pam is Dale's age and knew Larry Wallin quite well and she was telling me of some of the details but nothing specific.  What can I say but that I hope he's fine and doing better.  I can't imagine what it would be like and I suppose no one can that hasn't been through it.



Right now Warren is having trouble "experiencing" the Airborne troops and Green Berets that are all over town playing war games.  The situation is pretty tense because of an incident that happened to Jim Blackman, of all people, the Asst. D.A., at the Brandywine last Sat night.  It seems they (he and Linda) decided to go up and have a dinner and just hang around for awhile.  Well, a couple of these guys started hasssling Linda and Jim told them to "get Lost" (putting it very mildly?) and one of the guys pulled a knife, right?  So Blackman calls the state cops and of course, by the time they got to the Brandywine this guy, being no dummy disposes of his knife somewhere so that there is no knife.  Ok, got the whole fucked up scene?  So, Blackman goes and presses charges on attempted assault, the whole bit.  So, of course, our local "paper" prints some ridiculous story in the paper to make matters worse.  The whole thing is a bummer.  People in this town have been so overprotected they think they are being overrun by animals lurking on every corner and bar!  I'm sure the Army guys are freaking out just being here!  What can they possibly do with themselves anyway?, but go to a bar.  I don't believe they have to be here either, but people like Blackman could have done something before they got here!  No one can do much now.  I must admit I misunderstood the whole situation to begin with.  I thought they were going to be here two weeks on duty with the National Guard out in the sticks and we'd never see them most of the time anyway; but, of course, they have "leaves" for 10-12 hour periods so where are they going to go?  Now, I've heard this is going to continue all summer which will be a bummer -- both for the Army guys and the people around here.  It's just going to start trouble no matter what!  They're going to be picking up chicks, probably high school, I mean we did the same stuff, they're pushing dope and shit, you know people in this town are so sheltered because they ignore all these things,k if one small incident happened it's "freak-out city".  Anyway, it seems to be, everyone is over-reacting to them. Sot that's the big news in Warren at the moment!


All is going well here.  I'm playing tennis now and I'm so sore, the weakest part of my bod is my arms! I'm terrible at golf, but it's more my speed -- slow.  We've had such shitty weather so far I haven't been able to do either.

By the way, your tentative idea towards opening a bookstore sound like a dy-na-mite venture!  It's definitely a good thing for you to get into.  I can see you "groovin" on the whole scene now.  Plus you could keep me in supply!!  Hey, I've got to close and get moving, take care.

Write as soon as you can so I know what's happening with you, your brother, and Deer Lodge!

No comments:

Post a Comment