Monday, January 21, 2013

May 18, 1975 (Letter from Grayce)


Diane and Bev just left.  It was a very nice weekend.  We wished you have been here, also.  Aren't I awfully greedy?

First, may I say I'm really sorry about Dale.  He must be going through hell.  Have you spoken to him?  I think it would really be good for him to have someone speak to him without recrimination just now.  His guilt must be a vast thing to bear and more of a punishment than any other person could inflict from without.  I think you could do it very well -- being a gentle person.  Ultimately, it would make more of an impression than anything else he'll possibly hear now.

Paul, I hope I don't sound fatuous but "are you tired of writing to me?"  I really enjoy hearing from you but maybe you would need a rest?  If you'd like I will still write to you and you don't necessarily have to answer each time.  I don't know.  this sounds weird and not what I intend to say.  (Really I hope you don't agree to this because I'd really miss your letters), but let me know and we'll see what we can do, ok?

The weather here hasn't been so great, either.  It's been raining constantly.  I want to plan a small garden -- just some tomatoes, onions, peppers, and squash, but we haven't been able to dig up the ground cause it's always sopping wet.

I refuse to dig the ground because I did only a tiny piece by the side of the house and planted some bachelor buttons (which have probably drowned by now!) and I got an enormous blister on my palm.  Women's Lib can have this part of the fight as far as I'm concerned.  Pulling out your own chair is one thing; digging ditches is something else!

My cactus is not doing too well.  I can't figure it out.  I am convinced that cacti are not meant to flourish in this climate.  If they were, we would have some, wouldn't we?  It's entirely too humid. I hardly ever water the thing and I keep it in the sunniest place possible, but it feels like it's getting mushy and that means death is nigh.  Oh well, ---

No, I didn't attend Pitt's graduation.  It just would have been so meaningless.  Besides, Brook's sister graduated from Duquesne the week after that and Seton Hill's was the week after Pat's and I really didn't think I could take 3 Sundays of platitudes all in a row like that.  I mean, I don't go to church for exactly that reason, so why place myself in that position voluntarily?  It's bad enough that I had to go to those 2 others.  I did go get my diploma, though, since I had to go into Oakland to the doctor's anyway, $5 for that piece of paper.

Brook is out playing softball right now.  He joined a league that a bunch of his friends started. They all keep this bar (The Flame!) in business (or they did when they were younger, anyway) so the manager sponsors their team.  They're not too bad, considering they just got together this season.  They even have three flashy red nylon tee-shirts!  I liked them, but am not exceedingly thrilled about them right now since I've learned that they have to be handwashed separately.  Myeer!  Next year-- I will have something to say about the materials of the shirt, methinks!

Paul -- you had better come see us soon!  This is an order and not a request!  I really think that you are not happy there and should not stay any longer than necessary.  I hope I don't seem too audacious in saying this.  I worry about you, though.  I think you need more "civilization" around you.  And you sound said and I don't like to see you that way!  I apologize in advance if I shouldn't be so bold, but I can't help it.  Please consider this seriously.

Take care.



No comments:

Post a Comment