Saturday, January 12, 2013

May 12, 1975 (Letter from Diane)


I seem to be breaking all records in neglecting to answer my mail.  But hopefully late is better than never although to be on the safe side, don't' hold your breath.

A lot has been happening  most of which I forgot when I began this letter.  This weekend there was some real excitement in Philly.  Yes, really!  They blocked off the Parkway for a kickoff celebration of the Bicen.  A million and a half people were there, including me.  There were all kinds of activities -- circus acts, theater, dance, music, flea markets, exhibits, a free Blood Sweat and Tears concert and a bubble machine.  And food.  It was a beautiful day and everyone seemed to have a good time.

Sat, one of my friends from PSU who lives in Norristown and I went to Valley Forge.  The dogwood was out and we had a great time wandering around taking pictures   Until we got back to the car and found that Diane had dropped the keys somewhere in the 20 acres of grass and dogwood.  Do you believe Marsha found then 5 mins later?  St. Anthony saved the day again!  Anyway, we saw a wedding couple getting their pictures taken against the dogwood.  With a slightly overcast sky and all those flowering trees, it was a fairy tale setting.

Grayce and I met and "did" the Art Museum right after Easter.  (The museum closed in April and reopens next Feb.)  Very enjoyable.  It really is above comparison, with Carnegie -- at least Carnegie minus Scaiffe Gallery (is that sp right?)  We talked about a bookstore then and later she wrote that you had been thinking of the same thing.  It's an intriguing idea!  Only one problem -- in the next several years, I'll b lucky to have enough money to buy furniture and gasoline,k not to mention capital for a store.  How about a little later?

If you do come East, we can all get together and discuss it.  I hope that you can come and that we can all get together!  Maybe a reunion at the Top of the Triangle.  Or maybe you can overcome your prejudice and visit the Bicen City.  After all, even the Pope will visit here next summer.  You know, your namesake.

Work is overwhelming!  There's so much to do and redo.  And as people learn what a librarian can do, they expect more.  And hopefully, they get it.  However, there's a problem of image.  I told one of the engineers that I disliked beer and he said that's what he'd expect from a librarian.  Grrr!  But seriously, my predecessor (my dict is on the bottom of the shelves and I'm too lazy to get it) was a clerk-aide and everyone assumes that I am, too.  But I will prove eventually -- that only the brilliant and talented can  make it in the library world.

Excuse me -- I'm not feeling well.  Don't do as I do -- do as I say -- Write!

No comments:

Post a Comment