Monday, January 28, 2013

June 9, 1975 (Letter from Grayce)


This is truly a gorgeous day!  I just got back from in town where I bought my father a sweater (summer) for Sunday (Father's Day).  I didn't want to leave uptown because it was so nice, so I just strolled around for awhile, but, unfortunately, I can only stand that for so long -- especially if I can't go into stores and SPEND! It's like a disease.  I wish I could just control myself.  I buy things I really don't need sometimes.  Now that I'm trying to save money, though, I've gotten a bit more control over myself.  Although, with what I make, I doubt very much if I will be able to save much.

Anyway -- I did some weeding in my garden today.  It's really coming along.  I'm quite proud of myself -- as this is my first attempt at outdoor planting.  The tomatoes, lettuce, and onions are really growing quickly.  The lettuce will be ready to eat in a few more weeks, I think.  I'm so excited I can hardly wait!!!  Brook is ready to send me to a loony bin.  The night I planted everything, I couldn't sleep hardly at all and when I did finally get to sleep, I actually dreamed of plants and vegetables.  I had several dreams about them, too.  Some "good and some "bad".  In one of the "good" ones, I can remember seeing my picture in the back of a comic book holding a head of lettuce about 30" in diameter in one of those queer advertisements for fertilizer.  (Isn't that goofy?) Oh well.

Bev told me about her job hunting when she was here, too.  I hope she gets something she likes better. I really thought she liked it there, but I think she doesn't so much, anymore.  In my position, almost any job looks inviting, you know?

You mentioned being a parent.  I'm really scared to death of being in that position.  I think too many people have children who have no idea about what to do with them and don't really think about how they can affect their lives.  It's such an awesome responsibility.

An aside.  (I hope you never really doubted that I cared about your well-being, Tweet!)

Have you heard from Ken and Denise yet again?  I hope he's not too bad, although I can imagine that he's in a lot of pain.

Harvey is in the hospital.  Poor Harvey certainly has his share of problems.  His nerve tendons in both his hands have given him so much trouble.  On top of that he's diabetic and any operation is a risk for him.  He went in last week and it takes several weeks to recover from this thing and then a few months from now he'll have to go in for the other arm.  Well -- enough bad news....

Nothing much is really happening here.  I'm sorry if this letter is extremely boring.  I think I'll only continue it for 2 more pages.  (Paulie says, oh no, 2 more?!!)

I really like having Mondays and Fridays off now (besides weekends).  I really can't take that place full-time and remain sane too (if I may presume that I am presently sane?)

Right now I'm finishing a weaving for Rich Miller's wedding.  It's kind of primitive in earth tones, but I hope he likes it.  I haven't started on Ange's yet -- or rather, I have started in hers at least 4 times and each time I just take it apart because I'm not satisfied with it.  I guess I'm being ridiculous, but I really want it to be special cause she means so much to me.  We've been really close since 3rd grade and we're almost one person in so many ways.  She's one of the few people that I know who would put my welfare above hers in any kind of crisis.  I mean, some people you think might, but I'm really certain of Ange.  I guess cause I've never had ad sister (and she hasn't either) (she has 4 brothers) we just kind of adopted each other.

We haven't kept one promise very well.  We both promised each other when we were about 19-20 that we definitely would not get married til we were at least 28!  Oh well-

(I'm almost to the end, Tweet!!  Do you think you can bear my ramblings for another side of a page?)

My sewing project right now is a bathing suit.  I haven't had one for 3 years, because 3 years ago I gained 15 pounds in one year and I haven't had the discipline to get rid of them yet (what a dis-grayce I am!!!)  Anyway, I decided not to get a bathing suit til I lost that weight and so far I haven't lost it (yeck!)  But my hand is being forced.  Brook wants to go away for a weekend and I don't think (wherever we go) that the people there will appreciate my cut-offs and halter in their pool (if it has a pool and Brooks likes pools, so...)  I haven't given up yet, though. I'm making this so that it can be taken in, if and when the occasion arises.  Concentrate on that for me, if you please?

Well, I'd better start getting dinner ready.  No dessert!!!  (maybe a grapefruit?)

No comments:

Post a Comment