Friday, March 23, 2012

November 1, 1969 (Letter from Kathy)


First of all, what was the exclamation mark after the 18th for?  I couldn't figure that out for sure.

Second, glad to hear from you.  Actually, I was gonna write to you at your home address t his weekend because I was unsure as to whether you were living in the same place as last year.

You speak of your summer as a worthwhile experience, well, I'm getting mine now.  Living in an apartment is really what I needed, except it's (of course) much more work than living in the dorm.  It's kinda hard for me because I have 32 hours of classes with my 20 hours of clinic.

Glad to hear your car is taking good care of you.

I too have had little testing until this past week -- had 3 midterms and a few quizzes.  Naturally, all at one time!

You wouldn't believe how great our apartment looks.  If you ever feel like getting away for a 7 hour drive, come to Boston.  I'm sure we could find something of interest to do!

I got a job in an International House of Pancakes.  The turnover in the place is really fast.  On a Friday night I can make as much as $35, but on a Thurs I usually make about $10.  Only work Thurs and Fri -- sometimes either Sat or Sun -- those are the two nights I'm on call.  It really helps with the expenses.  I really hadn't planned on getting a job with that much money, so I'm ahead on my budget.  Have even been able to save some.

You should have seen me trying to paint my ceiling the first day I was here.  I had to fill the cracks in, sandpaper, and then paint by jumping on and off a bookshelf!  It's been really a lot of fun though.  We have 8 rooms; 4 bedrooms, bath, kitchen, living room, and a real small room that we keep the bar in.  We have wall-to-wall carpets and the landlord paid for paint for all the rooms.  We only have the living room left.  We were all so concerned about getting our own rooms finished first.

I just got a rug for my room today -- gold, orange, and green.  My room is gold, white ceiling and trim (have three windows, 3 doors, and built in shelves and drawers) with orange accessories.  I'm getting a paper chandelier that I saw in "George's Folly" -- it's orange and gold of course!!

Did you get your drug store job?

My clinical assignments t his quarter are all over the city!  Really.  I had to go to Brighton the first half of the quarter, a home for unwed mothers and a crippled children's home.  This half I'm in Cambridge schools and at a boys technical school.  We have ideal conditions -- straight back chairs, a desk or table instead of a unit, and either flashlights or lamps!!  Loads of fun!  If there is ever an electric strike or blackout, the girls from Forsyth (my dental school) will be the only people that will continue to work.  I can see where it can be good experience, but we certainly aren't practicing the good posture they preach when we have to stand on our heads to see in a patient's mouth!!  It's really fun though! (!!??)

Sue Smith came up with me at the beginning of the year.  She would be so shocked if she could see the difference now.  It's actually getting to be a nice place.  She was looking for a job.

The pancake house I work in is open until 2:00 on Fri and Sat, and I got abrasion of my eye from contacts for wearing them such long hours.  A guy here told me the contacts were all wrong for my eyes and I was really shook up.  I did manage to live.

Acquired a bicycle to get around on.  One of my roommates does have a car.  One of from Long Island and the other two are from Providence, R.I.

A guy 70 yrs old ran into Gary's Triumph and it ran into Rick Nasman's car -- completely demolishing it.  It was considered totaled and Gary got a pretty good price for it plus he got to keep the car.  I thought the insurance company usually took the car.  Mike Lundberg might try and fix up the car for racing.

Gary is seriously thinking of enlisting in the army in December.

I went home for Columbus Day because I had that Monday off and Wed for the Moratorium.  Gary was having homecoming, and, lo and behold, he had a date.  That was a surprise for both of us, however, all is well -- we both date -- it was just a little uncomfortable for Mary Lou (Dody DeLong's old girlfriend).

Well, take care -- let me know what you're up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment