Thursday, February 21, 2013

September 4, 1975 (Letter from Diane)


Hi there!  Remember me?  The social whirl I mentioned turned  into a whirlwind but by next Feb. I should be OK.

Honestly, I don't remember ever going through a time like this.  My birthday celebration lasted a week during which I had six houseguests one night -- four sleeping places.  My parents and sister were visiting for a week right after that.  It was very enjoyable -- and tiring!  Mom & Mary Ann had their first swim in the ocean and we even talked Dad into getting wet.  You heard of the tidal wave that hit England?  I know, that's not nice but did you ever go shopping for extra large swmming trunks at the end of the season?  Frustrating!

Grayce tells me that you've coming East soon.  I am really sorry that I'm not going to be able to go to Pgh.  The trip to Dallas with all its additional expenses is soon.  Even more important, my uncle (who is one of my favorite people) underwent open heart surgery last week.  The day after the operation, his mother fell -- broke her hip & is in critical condition.   My aunt is a wreck.  So I'm spending my weekends there in Baltimore.  But if you don't call sometime during you trip, I'll never forgive you!

The job is becoming both more frustrating and rewarding.  What do you do with a supervisor that panics at the first thought of making waves?  And the executive offices are becoming distressingly militarism to the Nixon White House.  Nobody gets to see "The Man " without seeing "the man" first.  And the brown-nosing is enough to sicken anyone.  .  Oh yes, we have been receiving bomb threats quite frequently.  Luckily -- or deliberately -- the caller has been choosing beautiful days.  Since it takes an hour to "search" the 14-story bldg., it's free time to go shopping, walking or visiting at the historical sites.  Today we saw the slide show at the new visitor's center next door.

Speaking of which, I'm toying with the idea of developing some kind of AV presentation on special library services.  How do so many people get degrees without knowing what a card catalog is?  Anyway, if you have any ideas, I'll appreciate hearing them.

For the fall, I'm thinking of taking a course in -- don't laugh -- quilting.  I've always loved quilts.  My grandmother gave me some squares she had embroidered that have to be assembled & I want very much to do it myself.

Did I tell you I was nearly evicted?  I put the rent in escrow until they got rid of my bugs.  Oh, the howls of protests!  They finally fogged the place.  I had to clean out all the closets & wash all the dishes -- and things seem to be OK so far.

Last Sat., some friends & I went to the Penn State-Temple football game.  We missed the whole first quarter & each team's first touchdown because we were sitting on the expressway stuck in traffic.  After we got there, PSU nearly lost the game & won by only one point.  Whew!  It was terrific to be in the old college atmosphere again.  Brought back beaucoup memories   Sometimes I'd do anything to go back to the other-worldliness of Happy Valley.  But I'd never go through all that hassle!

I forgot to tell you the rewards of working for the C of E.  The greatest one -- the annual raise - is in danger, thanks to Ford.  We're still hoping, though.  Otherwise, it's very gratifying to see a collection of told, dusty books gradually evolve into a working library where people can actually find things!

Do you think you'll make it until May?  Hope the Montana winter's not bad.

Paul, I am very disappointed that I won't get to Pgh.  Call!  (Collect!)  And if you can drag yourself East during the Bicen, you'll always be welcome here!

No comments:

Post a Comment