Monday, September 10, 2012

December 18, 1973 (Letter from Kenny)



Well, another semester has bitten the dust, so now I have time to write to my favorite person residing in the glorious city of Pittsburgh, Pa.  Well, what's new?  Hope your semester went OK and you memorized the dewey decimal system or devised a new card catalogue or whatever things they teach you.  (Do they tell you how to walk around on your tiptoes and speak softly so as not to bother any of the assholes that are reading?)

Anyhow, school was shitty as usual and I busted my ass the last month or so, all for nothing because I blew one of my exams.  It just shows how totally absurd the whole thing is because even if you know the stuff it doesn't mean shit if you don't see an issue while pushing your balls off during an exam.  The grading system is by absolute percentages, so even if you deserve an A, if everyone else does also, most of you won't get it.  Rather than have you compete against an ideal paper, they have you competing against each other so it just perpetuates the neuroticism and everything else that is stereotyped about law school.  I haven't seen "Paper Chase" yet but I've heard it is an accurate portrayal of the little gnomes they refer to as law students.  As a matter of fact, 1 of my friends saw it and he actually got nervous during the movie when the professor was calling on people!  Anyhow, it's going to be a struggle to get through the rest, but I'm kind of locked in because I'm really not equipped to do much else.  Because I'm not graduating until 1976, this summer is shaping up like another writeoff financially.  It's incredible now the more education I get, the more difficult it gets for me to find a job.  Enough of that bullshit.  I'm really looking forward to Christmas vacation though I don't really expect to do anything out of the ordinary.  Lauren and I are going home this Friday and will be there until the 7th of January.  We've got 2 wedding to go to. Bobby Marks is getting married Christmas Eve, and he's letting us stay in his apartment for the week he's away on his honeymoon.  That's great because the biggest pain in the ass whenever we go home is living accommodations.  Lauren feels strange at my house and I feel strange at her house and naturally everybody's parents get pissed off if we don't divide time equally between the families.   That's really the only hassle about being married and otherwise I must admit it's pretty good.  Also a friend of Lauren's is getting married Jan. 6.

I haven't been doing much; I don't remember what the last movie I saw was, and I honestly have no idea how long it's been since I went to a concert.  Are there any new records out?  Is Elvis Presley still big?  Is Shelly Fabares still singing "Johnny Angel"?

Herb applied to Wharton (Business School) for next year so he might be in school with me if he gets in.  I guess he got the itch to go back to school after a couple years.  Also he is still young (16 or 17 I think).  Holy shit, fucking Herbie is going to be 232 and you're 24, this is getting ridiculous how old we've all getting.   A couple of nights ago I went for a walk around campus and ended up in the Quad where they have the undergraduate dorms.  All these kids were having toilet paper fights and spraying fire extinguishers at each other.  It really brought back memories, but freaked me out when I stopped  to think how many years it's been since we were freshmen.

Herb hasn't been doing much, he finally broke up with that girl he was seeing which was just as well because all he was doing was using her.  He's heard from Chris a couple times recently and said that Chris is really reaching out for someone.  Chris is supposed to be home over Christmas so maybe I'll even see him then.  By the way send my Christmas greeting to your family, including all the Nelson (Ozzie, Harriet, Dave and Ricky too).  What have you got planned?  I hope you get this before you go home (maybe I should send it to Warren) but even if you don't' a belated Merry Christmas.

Have you heard from the Polish kid from Calif?  I hope he still is alive and well in Berkeley.  Now that I recall your last letter (which embarrassingly was months ago) I realize I never got those pictures you took at the wedding.  Don't feel bad, we haven't gotten our album yet, nor do we expect it for another month.

How else is your life?  Any romantic inclinations (besides beating off)?   How are your friends from Warren:  Mardi, Barb, Mike, etc.

Lauren's sister is a freshman at UB and she really likes it, so I guess the cycle keeps going on and on.  I would like to get up there sometime this year though with the 50 mph speeds it will take forever.

Anyhow, enough said for now.  Take care of yourself and write when you get the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment