Friday, September 28, 2012

March 13, 1974 (Letter from Renee)



It is I, not you, who should apologize for not writing in so very long.  I had every good intention in the world to write to you over Xmas vacation; however, I had a houseful of company from the day we got out of school to the day went back and then I lost your address.  I was sort of hoping that you wouldn't give up on me and would decided to drop me a line.  It was so very good to hear from you once again. Thanks for thinking of me!

Well, where do I begin to tell you about us and what's going on here in Columbus. Ohio?  First off, Morrey got his associate degree from Franklin University in Dec. so at least now he has a "piece of paper" to hang on the wall.  He also recently received a promotion at Loeb Electric and it looks like his future is secure there.  The money is not super great right now -- but there is definite hope!  I'm very proud of him and quite happy.  My job is just fine, I'm in my third year at Hastings Jr. High.  Things sure are a lot different now that I have a few years' experience under my belt.  I can't believe how easy teaching is now compared to when I first started.  I actually have time now on week nights to do a few things which I like to do rather than things I always have to do.  My kids are really great and I don't have any major problems discipline-wise so I guess you could say I am content.  I will be teaching in a special program next year (if our next levy passes).  It is called the House Plan and it is designed as an attempt to inter-relate the scholastic disciplines.  We take a group of 125 kids and the English, Science, History, and Math teachers all have the very same 125 kids to work with in a 4-5 period time sequence.  We can group the kids to work with them the beset way we see fit, and we can change the groupings whenever we want to facilitate special work and projects.  If the kids are assigned a research paper in History or Science, then the English teacher can work with them on the project since all of the students have the same 4 teachers.  I am very excited about the possibilities this program has to offer, and I feel that the progress allows me to set a goal for myself and work to my fullest potential to achieve it.  So much for my job....

Morrey and I have been busy socially.  We're on our second set of bridge lessons and it has really been hard for me to learn but I'm working at it.  We're just about ready to invest in a pair of combat boots for the two of us so we can communicate across the table-ha-ha!  Bridge is a serious game and I'm such a "joker" (no pun intended!).  We've made a lot of friends since I've been teaching and there's always something going on every weekend.  Morrey and I like to socialize but we also like just being alone and lately it has been really hard to find time to do what we want instead of what everyone else wants to do.  I'm really looking forward to this summer cause I'm doing everything I've waited to do all year -- sleep, read volumes of novels, sew, and be a real honest-to-goodness housewife.

Would you believe -- it has been a week and a half since I started this letter!  I started to write it just before my spring vacation and tomorrow I go back to school.  I drove to Warren for a few days to see my folks and I was bored to tears.  I read three books in two days and about a million magazines to keep myself busy.  I stayed in Warren from Mon. to Thurs.  Left Warren with 3-4 inches of snow on the ground and before I got to Corry I had an accident.  I've never driven in such miserable conditions.  I slid from one side of the highway all the way to the other side and knocked down a speed sign.  I wasn't hurt -- but my pride was!  I didn't damage the car very badly visibly, however I'm told it will take about $200 in repairs to fix our new VW.  I was heartbroken -- but also quite happy to walk away from it in one piece since I could have hit a tree or another car.  I stayed in Corry overnight with the Zalzneck's and came home Friday.  The roads around Erie were impassible and the visibility was zilch.  Once I crossed the Ohio border the weather miraculously changed for the better.  I've decided never to drive to Warren again by myself except in the summer time!  For all the money it's going to cost us to fix the car I could have flown to Florida and really had a good vacation.  Hindsight is always better than foresight!!

Well Paul, I could write some more but I've loads of school work to do before tomorrow morning so I'll close for now with a promise to write again as soon as I can.  If you have any chance of coming up our way to Columbus -- please do cause we'd be delighted to have you.  If you want to bring a friend(s) with you we have plenty of spare beds and rooms.

Be well and take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment