Monday, December 3, 2012

February 19, 1975 (Letter from Michael)



I bet you thought you'd never hear from me?  I figured you must have given u p by now.  Actually I've had your letter on my dresser ever since I received it in mid-December.

I/we've been quite busy.  Still working quite a lot although it's eased off a bit lately because Liz is working part-time at her other job.  The store has been doing better and better as we've gotten in a good deal new stock and attracted new clientele.  In fact we've no formed a corporation to own the store.  Its name is Small Planet Natural Foods Dist, Inc.  (We're mostly dealing in the reds, blues, and blacks in the ball point line.  Elizabeth is quitting her accounting job in April so we both can run the store.  That should give each of us some desperately needed free time.

Actually it's quite surprising how well we've been doing lately considering some businesses.  In that respect I can't complain too much, but in others I can find much to be hassled over.   Were it not for the fact that I feel somewhat good that we may be doing something socially worthwhile, i.e., educating people about the nature (pun) of food in our society and providing some good food to a select few, I'd go totally out of my mind.  Not that I could deny that I'm trying to make money but I still have some social consciousness, I hope.

Nonetheless I could use some free time and breaks during the day to overcome my claustrophobia if nothing else.  It's funny, no one will be in the store, I'll be hungry, I'll sit down to relax and eat an d some customer will walk in and demand my attention.  As I obviously have no set lunch time I must respond.  Fortunately, lately I have hired a woman to help out and as time goes on she has become more experienced and knowledgeable and can handle the store for short periods of time. This enables me to go to the back room and relax or to go for a short walk.  I appreciate the outdoors more and more all the time.

Otherwise generally life is going rather well. When we're not fighting, Elizabeth and I get along.  And when we are fighting we fight like hell.  Admittedly it's not always her fault and I do make a minor mistake now and then.

We heard from Tony the other day.  He seems very anxious to get out of Berkeley, Law School, the west coast, and all their "confinements" and "conflicts".  He was here for New Years and if he can swing some job interviews in this area, might come here for Dennis and Donna's wedding on April 5th.  (I have to be an usher and wear a tuxedo.)

Dennis is now working (in-training) for Merrill, Lynch  Pierce, Fenner, Smith...or whatever learning how to be a stockbroker.  Donna is still doing some technical writing at Raytheon.  Harvy got a job as a reporter on the Cambridge Chronicle, a weekly.  He seems much happier although it's not his ideal job.  He'd rather work or be able to freelance for a more dynamic publication.

Elizabeth and I hope to be able to take a vacation July possibly taking a train across Canada and then going down to California.  That train is something I've wanted to do for years.  What are yo plans in terms of work?  I enjoy listening to your prison reports so please write back.  I could tell you more about our exciting life such as how we're falling into the TV rut, but I'll save it.  Oh, one thing that we have been doing that's been fun, relaxing, and useful is taking taichi.  It's a martial art but much different from karate.  The moves are flowing, circular, and very subtle.  Actually, initially, the art consists of learning numerous forms that have applications in terms of exercise, meditation, and relaxation much later self-defense.

In any event it's late once again.  Time to go to bed so I can get up to go to work, to go to bed, etc. See you, I hope, and take care.

Oh yes, write after you get over the shock of receiving  a letter from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment