Friday, December 28, 2012

March 18, 1975 (Letter from Tony)



Well, I almost forgot that I promised to send you directions.  Sorry about that.  Two days after you called Ralph Pearson called me at 8 am and my dim recollection of what happened at that hour of the morning is that he plans to come out here for a few days before you come.  I'm not sure when he'll get here or how long he'll stay but maybe you'll get to see him.

It snowed here last week.  That makes it 3 years in a row and every year they are astounded.  It probably will never snow here again once I leave.

We'll, I'll save my talk for when you're here.  Below are the directions.

I assume that however you go you will end up on 80 coming from Sacramento, or if you come down the coast you can get on 80 in Richmond.  The arrows show a shorter way to get to 580, but just staying on 80 offers the virtue of simplicity, and it's not much longer.  The exit off 580 is MacArthur Harrison St. and it is, I believe, the next exit after 24 comes into 580.  The exit lumps you onto Harrison, which is one way.  You just go down Harrison a couple of blocks to where Oakland and Harrison split (or come together, depending on your philosophy) do a 160 degree turn to get on Oakland and I'm 3/4 block away.

My apt is on the left-hand side, it's a 4 story light green.  Mostly one story buildings are on either side.  As you can see in my nifty picture, it's before you get to any intersecting roads.

Ring door bell #2 -- manager.  They will let you in.  I live downstairs.  As you come into the building, you have to go up some steps, then turn left and go down the hall.  You will pass the managers apartment, smile politely and tell him you've come to visit me.  MY apt is directly below theirs.  So down the stairs, through the green door on your left, past my bathroom and the washer and dryer and that's my door.

As an alternative to coming in the front door, you can come in the side door.  I recommend doing this only at daylight hours.

Go down the alley that is located at the left of the building when you face it.  The alley goes down hill.  There is one door which leads to the gas meters and fuse boxes.  Then a door that is very big and heavy.  Then down some steps and we have the basement door.  Go in, up one flight of stairs and you're back at the green door, beyond which is my bathroom, the washer and dryer and then my door.

You have my home phone.  My number at work is 834-2010 ext 255.  I work Tu & Th 8:30-5 but I may take that week off.

Lastly would you be interested in going to a concert by Franz Breugen, who palsy the recorder.  It's cheap and on East Sunday - March 30.

OK enough, see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment