Monday, December 10, 2012

February 20, 1975 (Letter from Mardi)



It was good to hear from you and I'm really sorry about my slowness in replying.  I just can't write a letter anymore -- I'm "burnt out" from my letter writing days in 68-69-70!

You sounded so happy with your job in the last letter to me, however, Barb mentioned that your attitude was a bit different.  I know you love the job but you have to also live around your job now, which unfortunately  is a total bummer.  Whenever you just want to leave for awhile your work won't let you and you begin to wonder how you can keep a job and live.  The conflict never ends.  I do believe the hardest part is yet to come.

My job is going well, I enjoy the work.  I'm in the trust dept (which I lack knowledge of any considerable amount!) under the Vice-president and trust officers.  The work is a variety and I'm very interested in the procedures of the dept.  We are separate from the bank itself (WNB), here on the second floor; we have new offices with all the "new fangled" equipment -- a secretary's dream come true.  The hours are good and the pay has helped us considerably.  I can't believe I've been here almost five weeks!  The girl that had my job was leaving for Atlanta March 5th and in the meantime changed her mind and decided to stay!  Actually, it all worked out for the best because she loves teller work, which I would never do, and she didn't like the secretarial work and being away from all the bank confusion, which I like!  It doesn't take long to fall into the daily work "women's" routine.

We are all fine here.  Mattie is really growing and is a cutie, I can see the days of mother running behind the kid going "HELP!"  He's going to be a brat, we must start that good old parental discipline at a very early age -- like now!  Wish you could enjoy him now with us, he's amazing -- what can I say!  Duh.  We're such experienced parents!  It's a trip and a half.

The store is holding down itself well, considering the buying power of the consumers in Warren.

Barb is back to work.  She is working at the daily workshop on Fifth Av. Ext, I believe.  Have a hard time remembering the correct name of the "enterprise" itself.  She has a few of the people from the half-way house on our block.

Haven't heard from Mike lately  I guess he's at a pretty permanent type of job now, from the sounds of what Yolanda has to say.

We re taking Yolanda to dinner for her birthday Tues night to the annual Deer Head Inn dinner!!  I'm looking forward to it since it has been quite awhile since I've had the luxury of dining out and had money I didn't have to worry where it was coming from!

Do you think you'll get out this way during the summer months?  It would be hard getting out here and back unless you had some lengthy vacation coming.  I will get a week this summer and that, of course, will be taken to Maine.  I really enjoy it there and have a good time.  Naturally, we are treated like royalty the whole time!  I could just stay at the ocean the entire time and eat lobster all day.  Mattie will be a real treat to take along -- I can't imagine, he'll be a year old almost by then,.  He loves the car so he should be good, "are we there yet" "How much longer?"  I don't think though that he will be very literate.

I must close now and get to work.  Take care.  Ellie and Libby say hello.  Poor Libby has been having a rough time of it lately.  Would you believe she had a false pregnancy?  She is slightly disturbed!?  She is better now and adjusting.  We will breed her this spring!!!  I felt so sorry for her.  Can you believe it?  That dog needs more love and attention than 10 people!  Never a dull moment.

I must close -- hope to see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment