Tuesday, December 11, 2012

February 24, 1975 (Letter from Tony)



I shall start this letter out with something that has almost become a trademark of my letters, an apology for the lateness in coming.

Let's see now, last I talked to you I wasn't coming to Deer Lodge because the gas tank on the Ford van was leaking.  My, that was a while ago.  After that I had two more weeks of classes.  I flew to Buffalo and stayed there for Christmas, went on to Boston to see the gang there, flew back out here, had my exams, went to Lake Tahoe to gamble and ply in the snow, started classes again, continued working, got a new apartment for $55, a car for $250 and screwed a round a bit.

I am in the midst of my last semester exhilaration.  Strange how it works, when I'm in a situation I like, the last period of time is one of non-enjoyment as I regret the fact I have to leave, e.g., Buffalo and Walla Walla.  However, when I find myself coming to the end of a less than terrific era, e.g., law school, having the end in sight makes my situation much more enjoyable.

I have classes that are conducive to doing work and I am doing work.  Some of the classes are interdisciplinary in nature, law and economics and law and criminology, and this tends to be more enjoyable.  Straight law can be deadly and stifling too.  Straight law school can be much the same.

With my car I can explore more of the state before I leave.  I hope to go to Death Valley while the spring flowers are still blooming.

Come June I know not what I will be doing.  Possibilities abound but certainties are scarce.  My head is turning more definitely toward the Wast, with Boston as the focus.  It shall be a test of patience and discipline for me not to rush into anything.  My preferences are being worked on now. Come on feet, don't fail me now.

How's life progressing in Deer Lodge?  I've been watching the temperatures in Butte and Helena, they've been over 23 much of the time.  How does that compare to Deer Lodge?

I re-read One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and I'm just so impressed with that book.  Kesey's description are marvelous.  I'm going to see the play over in S.F. tomorrow.  I doubt that it will top Tom's performance but I thought I'd give it a chance.

Well, I leave off now.  I do apologize for the delay.


No comments:

Post a Comment