Sunday, December 23, 2012

March 9, 1975 (Letter from Sue)



Thanks so much for the Art Deco book and also your long letter!  The more I see of A.D., the more interested I become in the design form.  I like the simple, uncluttered geometric form -- some of the A.D. stuff is really bad kitsch  but other of the general period (and there are so many individual styles) is quite good, I think.

Sorry it's taken me so long to write -- by the way, your letter, mailed either Feb 2 or Feb 9, didn't reach me till Feb 20! -- but I've been on the prowl again.  My work permit was denied for the second time.  This time cause the job I'd been hired for was part-time (such illogic in their logic).  So I decided enough was enough, and decided to scout around in New York and vicinity -- and besides, I was going down to see Kurt and Anne, anyway.

So I contacted the Long Island Library directors whom Elaine had mentioned to me, and set forth. In a week I had 5 interviews, much train travel, and a power-packed personal situation.  (Kurt and Anne split up -- amicably and temporarily -- while I was there and I spent the last weekend of my stay alone with Kurt.)

I also spent a night on L.I. at Elaine's -- met her husband, who put me on the grill for 3 hours regarding my marital situation and why I would leave Bart in Montreal and come to NY alone to live (money is one answer; right to work is a second; being in the land of the free and the home of the brave is a third) -- but he wasn't buying any of that.  The Seatons are really oriented toward nuclear family relationships, though Elaine is very curious about alternate lifestyles, which is why I think we became friends in the first place.  And don't forget, when we first met her she was with Lionel! All in all, I had a very interesting evening chez Seaton and it was great to see Elaine again.  She was somewhat pressured by upcoming budget and also paper deadlines for her management class (she's working toward MBA) but she remained a gracious hostess.  Their lifestyle is nicely unpretentious -- upper-middle class, but compared with other Long Islanders, I'm sure they play it very low-key.  I really don't  know what Bob Seaton does, except that he's a self-made man from Chicago and that he loves plants.  And that he has his own business.

Elaine is one of the very few women library directors around on Long Island -- I met 4 of her colleagues or cohorts (if you prefer) quite a variety   2 were Southern and 2 were N.Y. area 2nd generation Italian.  The Italians and I hit it off best -- and they also had the most interesting -- and wealthy -- libraries.  The Port Washington (P.W. is the East Egg of Gatsby) gave me the best reception -- the director met me at the train station and took me to lunch, as well as giving me a complete tour -- the library is incredible.  Loads of artwork -- very rich (tax base is $23 per capita as compared to usual $5 per cap) and an extensive video facility whereby the community can come in and be trained in video techniques, borrow equipment and make their own tapes.  Very active community program.  P.W., though tres riche, also has a black and P.R. community which is poor -- great economic disparity -- the library is trying to meet these people as well.  The director liked me, I'm fairly sure, but -- no openings at the moment.  Same thing at Great Neck, where the library director, Joe Covino, is very controversial -- very political -- sort of a high class John Forsman in his informality.  He has a special youth facility -- a big room, built on split levels, w/ coke machines, cig machines, paperbacks, lunging areas -- the kids (many blacks, bussed in, as library is situation in "Great Neck Estates") can be alone.  Rather innovative, I thought.  I think either of these men would hire me if they had an opening -- but --

Also went to Levittown (the prototype of suburban living -- designed just after WWII, and an ugly place, in my opinion -- but I don't especially like uniform suburbs).  The director was helpful in giving me leads, but no openings and I wouldn't wanna work there anyway.  Later in the week I went to Phila -- Free Library has a couple of children's openings -- it's civil service there, so I had to take a test -- you get put on a list and depending on your ranking become eligible.  The woman in charge of children's work was very interesting -- about Mrs. Hodges' age, but less formal and somewhat theatrical -- she said she "wanted" me, but all depends on my civil service score.

Saw Janet in Phila -- she seems to be herself -- her library is new and snazzy and is where Marty goes to school, so that's nice.  They have a good apt and seem to be very together except that Marty has to study so much.  It was great to see Janet again -- she always gives me a sense of perspective.

Back to the Big Apple for some exciting nightlife (Black Russians at the Plaza -- the drink, that is, not a Soviet version of George Grant -- thrilled my bourgeois little heart) and then back on up to frozen Quebec.

I am now doing some freelance consultant work for Special Libraries here -- 2 jobs:  one is to set up a small technical library for British Petroleum; I spent a day looking over their stuff and know how I want to organize it -- all I have to do now is write a proposal -- I have as hard a time getting motivated for this as I did for Wendell's papers.  They'll pay me for the time I've spent in their offices, my "research" (I can pad a little, can't I?), and may or may not hire me for 6-8 weeks to actually set the thing up.  It's kinda interesting because it's a challenge to organize, especially in an area about which I know nada (turbo engines are not one of my strong points, needless to say).

The other job I'm doing is weeding an old stuffy, musty and dusty collection in a former T.B. sanitarium!  The best part is that I stay up there during the week in the residence hall -- just me and about 4 over 40 nurses.  (Sorry I can't report on more lascivious surroundings!)  The collection is incredible -- books like "Three Who Dared Escape:  One Family's Incredible Story of POW Life"; "The Purple Rose:  Cynthia's Love and Adventure in the Peruvian Mountains" (Peru and N.Y. cafe society are big in the romance-adventure genre) and "The Jap Menace".  I'm dumping about half of what they have -- but I become so fascinated I start reading half the books -- some good escapist froth.  I don't think they have one book written after 1962 -- and few after 1955.  No talking or large print books.  The sanitarium is in the Laurentian mountains, so it's very snowy and beautiful -- I fell like a character from Thomas Mann (or maybe "Sue Barton, Student Nurse").

All in all, life has become a bit more varied.  I do plan to go to N.Y. again (I fear I'm addicted) when I finish these jobs.  I would like to live in the U.S. -- I'm sure of that.

So, my dear, you are now "au courant".  And you?  Are you bearing up under the Montana winter? Good you've found some diversion in the name of Debbie.  And Barb arrives when?  Don't worry, these situations, messy as they seem in contemplation, tend to work themselves out in the reality of the moment.  Do you think Debbie feels involved (seriously so) with you?  The main thing, I think, is not to allow the woman to feel used.  Words of wisdom from the woman of experience (jestfully speaking, of course).

It's too bad you are movie-isolated.  It would be very frustrating.  The carving for the visual experience of film can be an addition, especially if you've been cut off.  The latest I've seen is Scorcese's Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore -- I'm sure you've read Pauline's review -- and it is a terrific movie, all in all!  Quite a breakthrough, in terms of being from a woman's point of view.  I'm not thrilled about the ending, but overall I think the delineation of Ellyn Burstyn's relationship to her son (brilliant performance by Alfred Lutter), her job, the women she works with, are stupendous. Really a portrait of how a woman handles herself -- I think Scorcese will be as good (if not better) than Altman someday.  He has a tremendous sense of place -- his New York in Mean Streets and his SW USA (New Mexico and Arizona, with a very surreal-kitschy Monterey in the beginning, providing a nice backdrop of memory for the central character )( are just right-on.

Yes, I have seen Calif Split -- excellent.  Compare it with the Redford-Newman films (similar in the sense of male camaraderie) and the Gould-Segal duo has far more depth.  Would like to see it again -- I may not have fully appreciated it the first viewing.  The Long Goodbye, though, I feel is a masterpiece particularly if you are familiar w/ Raymond Chandler's book.  Altman says Chandler fans hate T.L.G., because it shatters the concept of the romantic loner -- but I think (and I am a Chandler Fan) the film is brilliant in bringing the 50's book up to the 70's.  What Scorcese does for place, Altman does for time -- he captures the essence of a period.  Both are uniquely American directors I feel.

Glad you found the Fennario book at least of interest.  He is now a playwright in residence for the major English-speaking theater in Montreal.  The book probably had a greater impact for me than for you because of the description of Montreal life.  I'm sure you've finished it by now -- give me a final review.

Hope you're continuing seriously with your writing.  I think you've got something going there -- and should ultimately try for publication.  (Just a thought:  have you thought of submitting some sort of "journal of a prison libn." to LJ or WLB?  Or does that interest you?)  If you ever have some material you'd like to have someone else read or critique, I'd be very glad to.

Well, my dear -- must try to whip off some sort of proposal for setup of a small technical library. How thrilling.  But my philosophy is -- get while you can!  ($, that is.)

Do write soon and let me know how all is in your "beautiful but backward state".

P.S.  Some gossip (which may be confidential, so beware, a slip of the lip may sink a ship, or something.)  Received a letter from Carmelle who recently had an abortion (she hasn't used any B.C. of any sort for the last 2  years -- never got pregnant, so thought she never could) she's come out of it fine. She's also working as a sub school libn, which is good, and jetting around to Acapulco and New Orleans with her new beau -- and presumably now using B.C.


No comments:

Post a Comment