Wednesday, November 6, 2013

March 29, 1977 (Letter from Grayce)



We just had a great 4 days.  Brook starts shift work tomorrow, so gets these 4 days before. Unfortunately, we didn't get anything done that we had planned -- like taxes (yech!) and fixing the VW, although he might do that tonight (I hope) since it's snowing now & I need to drive the car to work tomorrow & I don't' think the Fiat would be as good in snow as the UV.  Oh well...

Did I tell you how Brook's hours will be?  He'll work 7 days straight (leaves at 10 P.M. & be home at 10 A.M. next day) & then he'll have 2 days off.  Then he'll work 7 more days (leave a 2 P.M. & home at 2 A.M.) & get 1 day off & then he'll work 7 more days (leave at 6AM, home at 6 P.M.) & then get 4 days off -- which we'd like to use for trips to nearby places, but some of which we'll probably use for poor Brook to catch up on his sleep.  The "school" part of the program is over & Brook did really well & now he has a few tests every once in a while, but mostly he'll be in the plant itself, in practical situations.  We cannot take any of his vacation off until this part of the program is over in August, but then we'd like to take the full 2 weeks & drive to California.  You'll have to tell us some good things to see & do -- ok?  We'll be going to Reno 1st to see Kathy for a day or two. She's definitely coming with her friend Bob for Easter.  It will be so good to see them -- unfortunately, Brook will be on the 2-2 shift -- so we won't see him too much.  (He doesn't get any holidays off, but he does get a raise, so he guesses it's worth it!)  Right now I'm trying to decide where I can take them around here -- so they won't be bored stiff.



Have you been watching Scenes from a Marriage on PBS?  It's on Wed nights here.  I'm sure a polar bear like you wouldn't want to miss it.  I really like Bergman & Liv Ullmann is one of my favorites.  I didn't get to see Face to Face -- a big regret.  Maybe they'll get it out here yet -- but I'm not holding my breath.  The film they get here are never the good ones!  I was excited about The Front because it was so much better than anything else here.  They seem to really go in for the Whitewater Sam type films.  Brook & I have these free coupons for the drive-in here, but all the films are really strange.  The other night we decided to go, just for the hell of it.  The features were Lipstick (yuck) and Hustle (double yuck).  We had a good time though -- making fun of the acting & the plots.  I made a gigantic bag of popcorn & we took a six pack of Coors & we giggled for 3 hours.  Oh well -- that's life in the little town!



Tomorrow is my boss' birthday.  She just recently got a divorce & she seems awfully lonely so I'm having her over for dinner.  I really like her a lot.  It's so nice having someone normal to work for after my last experience.   Linda is not nit-picky, or spiteful, or a shrew, or any of the lovely things Sister Mary Ronald was.

I think you made the right decision about not moving to N.Y.  I can't imagine living there -- although I'm sure it would be very exciting.  But I'm not sure I'd like the excitement of wondering what would happen to me next.  One of my closest friends lives in N.Y. alone & I do worry about her -- as she lives in Soho & there are lots of strange things happening there all the time.  But she loves it, so...

We seem to have this in common.  I always worry about wasting time -- although I know I do waste it.  But usually I have to be "doing" & I like to have something that I've produced to show for the time I've spent.  Right now, I've been doing wall hangings, but feel like I'm in a rut.  My sewing machine conked out & I'm waiting for the needed part to come in.  The salesman was very eager for me to trad in my economy model for the Diana (electronic) machine -- $600.  Or the Athena (also electronic) -- $1200.  I did try them out & they are great, but the question is do I need something that fancy?  They both do fancy stitches (although the Athena does about 2x as many), but when I make something, I usually like to embroider it myself & make up my own design.  So I guess I'll pass.  Besides, I really can't see spending that much.  Maybe in a few years, when my present machine is a little older.



You know, I hardly ever watched TV very much before I came out here, but I've watched it more now than before.  Sometimes I just put it on to hear people talking!  But I've noticed something which I think is very harmful.  People on TV -- even "middle-class types" have so much more than real people.  Women who are just secretaries wear fabulous clothes & never repeat their clothes from week to week & they live in these great apartments & drive expensive cars.  It must make people who are really poor sick!  I'm sure everyone else noticed this a long time ago, but I've just discovered it, and I think it's awful!  Especially since so many people don't seem to realize the TV is a big illusion -- & a crazy one, at that!  It must be terribly frustrating if you believe that real people live that way who have the same job you have, or your husband has, etc.

Oh well...take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment