Monday, December 9, 2013

May 25, 1977 (Letter from Grayce)



Our trip to Salt Lake was great -- actually any place would have done just as well, I suppose. Mainly, we both wanted to get away.  I really enjoyed the place, though, too.  We saw some films, and had dinners in new places (including a good seafood place, which Pocatello does not have). Actually -- none of the films were the one I wanted to see (Three Women) but we did see Annie Hall (also The Late Show) & since I love Woody Allen, I enjoyed seeing him again.  I feel like he's my friend.  Anyway -- Three Women isn't here or in Salt Lake & I'm assuming it won't be here at all -- so if you've seen it, you can tell me all about it, n'est-ca pas?

As I'm writing this, I'm resting from 3 previous hours of painting.  I'm kind of getting back into watercolors, which I did a lot of before, but haven't done any for a few years.  I had forgotten how much I enjoyed that medium.  What I'm doing, is, just small things of wildflowers that I've seen & sketched, and/or just seen pictures of.  I'm pretty pleased with the results & I have Brook criticize each one -- since I know I couldn't find a more discerning characters!   And of course, he always tells the truth -- and lo & behold -- so far he's been pretty positive about them.  My next step will be to mat them -- which will probably be put off until 1983, because I don't really enjoy that part & it's so tedious!!  Linda (my boss) wants us to go up to Jackson Hole this August to try to sell some of our stuff, so if I get these done, maybe ....but I don't know, I'm such a chicken!!

Work has been really strange lately -- everyone is quitting.  Almost all the department mgrs quit (mostly because of the merchandising manager, who has a real personality problem.  He's overbearing & condescending & also obnoxious (&those are the nicest words anybody can think of!)  Anyway, it's a real nuthouse because all the new managers are new & don't know what's going on & therefore, don't know what I need to do -- when they need displays, signs, etc. etc. -- you get the picture!

The poor head of the store is a nervous wreck.  He's such a sweet man, Mr. Boyle -- and it's going to look like his fault that everyone quiet & nothing could be further from the truth.  I'm worried about him.  He really looks upset all the time.  So the other days, I asked him to lunch with Linda & me. We're going to take him to Jake's on Friday.  (Jake's is a nice place here, but probably not a place he goes to.)  When I asked him, I thought he was going to cry.  I think he's a little apprehensive about going with us, too, because I'm sure he thinks we're both crazy people.  If we're not fighting with people about displays, we're giggling & generally making fools of ourselves in other ways & he always seems to catch us in the strangest situations!!!  Anyway, when I said we'd like to kidnap him for the day, he said something like -- he wouldn't be able to take us for a whole day!  So we told him we'd settle for an hour.  Anyway, I hope he has a good time, he certainly needs too!

How is your sinus condition?  When does the season end there?  Sept? -- that can certainly be an annoying ailment.  Maybe man should have stayed on all 4's - then this wouldn't be known to happen -- also backaches?

I'm sure this is an inane letter.  It's 4 AM and I'm starting to get tired & I have to get up early tomorrow (today) & get Brook to the bus stop.  So....I think I'll stop for now.  I think I won't even read over what's above because it will wind up in the trash & I don't want to waste paper anymore than usual!

Well, here I am again & it's now May 26th, right?  Actually, it was May 26th before, too, but it didn't feel like it because I hadn't gone to sleep -- and you thought that this part of the letter might make some sense, didn't you?

Did I tell you about this book I picked up?  It's called Astral Journeys & I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but it looks very interesting -- and seems like it will tie in with ideas we had of space travel.  So, if I learn anything, expect to see me!  (heh, heh)  Now you'll have to be extra good, since I may be watching you!  Actually, I think the book mainly deals with poltergeists, etc. rather than actual physical travel, but it's a step in the right direction!

Last Sunday, I got this overwhelming desire to talk to a friend.  Brook had been gone for 2 days, so I'm sure that had something to do with it.  I probably would have called you, if you had a phone!!!! It's strange because almost Never do I get a strong desire to call anyone, even people I really want to talk to, like you!  I did call Diane & I think she was awfully surprised.  That's probably the first time I've called her long distance in all the time I've known her.  I'm a disgrace, I guess, but I always feel close to people, even if I don't see them.  I even feel as though I know how they're feeling Y& what's happening with them.  Anyway, it was a dangerous thing to do -- making that 1 phone call.  Because after we hung up, I felt like talking to every one & I think I would have if I didn't have visions of Brook's face when the $200 phone bill arrived!  The phone company should use the Lay's Potato Chip slogan -- "Betcha can't talk to just one?"  I guegss I didn't get quite enough sleep last night, huh?

Well, Ill free you now from this crazyness.

No comments:

Post a Comment