Friday, December 27, 2013

June 20, 1977 (Letter from Grayce)


(I hated Network -- the only reason we went was because we heard from so many people that it as good!  That's the last time I listen to them!)


As you can probably tell, I'm in a silly mood!  But I will try to compose myself to some extent -- at least enough in order that I'll be lucid (or as lucid as I ever can be!)  I liked your card.  I do think it conveys the mystery of Scorpio.

I've been keeping myself busy -- with weaving, mostly & also with my new interest -- printmaking. Woodcuts & lino cuts will be a very demanding medium, I think, but so engrossing.  I'm really fascinated & hope soon to be doing something in them.  Right now, I'm just reading about different techniques & methods U& kind of gathering ideas in my subconscious for subjects.  Its a limited medium, but it was a charm all its own & lends itself to the concrete in a way that painting does not (but in a way, that weaving does, also).  This probably makes no sense at all, huh?

Actually, I've only showed the water colors I've done to one person (other than Brook) & that was my boss.  The incredible thing is that she bought one, and that has, for some reason, given me more confidence in them & in me, too, I guess.  So I think that I will exhibit them in August at the show here -- if I get them matted in time, which I think I can.  also, I guess I"ll show some of the weaving I've been doing -- who knows?

I'm not sure, but I feel different for some reason.  Actually, I don't think my personality has changed, but I do think my outlook has changed in some ways -- and mostly, I think I know myself better & that's almost certainly a result of being alone so much & having to deal with this stranger me.  I can't describe how painful this "metamorphosis" has been in some ways -- but it's also been very happy -- a contradictory kind of thing, but not really & I'm sure you know what I'm talking about, but I'm not exactly being eloquent on the subject -- mostly what's important is what I left unsaid -- as in all matters, huh?

This weekend, I'm looking forward to!  Brook has his 4 days off -- Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues. -- & not a moment too soon.  He really needs some time to do what he enjoys -- I mean how many weeks can you work 16 hrs/day without some kind of a break!?  Anyway, I have a picnic (I bought a picnic basket in Salt Lake City that I can't wait to use) -- a quiet one -- planned for one day.  A day we can just do NOTHING -- maybe bring something to read, and also maybe a day of weeding our non-lawn (the seeds froze, so we've got to plant all over again!)  this might be relaxing, also, since doing things with the hands has a certain appeal for someone who has to study & memorize all week.  And for Tuesday, I plan to be at work, so he can have a day completely lone.  I mean, I'm sure now that this will be the most valuable day for him.  It's funny -- now that we don't see each other so much, how we do value the time that he does have off from work, but even though he says I should stay home that day, I'm not going to, because everyone needs time alone -- don't you think so?  I'm sure you agree with me.

Anyhow, I have enjoyed our time here so far, very much.  But I must say that I think of "settling" in the East -- although I'm not sure of where!  I've always liked Main -- or maybe New Hampshire.  But first I want to see all of this area.  We're planning a trip to S.F. and L.A. by way of Reno (to stay with Kathy & Bob) and that'll be neat -- if Brook can take some time off after Aug 20th.  I don't know if we'll ever get down to New Mexico, although I'd love to since we have friends there.  But if not, I'll still be very happy that I've even seen what I've seen.  It's been a good experience all around.

Well, take care & don't apologize for not writing right away.  I don't want to make demands on you, I'm just happy for your friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment