Thursday, December 5, 2013

May 11, 1977 (Letter from Grayce)


Keith's Beautiful Homes magazine
One of my favorite discovers at Johnson's Secondhand bookstore in downtown Springfield, Mass., in 1977

I've been putting off getting my eyes checked for 4 years, now, so I finally went to a Dr. Clothier here. (He's related to the Clothier's of Strawbridge & Clothier & was originally from Philly.  He's about 60 now & has lived in Poky most of his life -- small world?)  Anyway, I did get some good news.  My eyesight has improved!  (It must bee all the carrots I eat  What's up, doc?)  So my new lenses are now only 1/2 the strength of my former ones -- which is encouraging.  My right eye is almost 20/20, also.  He said in cases of eyestrain which is what I had that caused me to need glasses in the first place -- this sometimes happen.

Today I ordered a really nice set of woodcutter's tools -- for etchings, etc.  Linda, my boss, is going to teach me some things about technique & then I'm going to experiment with some printmaking of my own.  Who knows, I may find my niche (no pun intended.  It's a very precise & exacting art, so I hope I have the patience for it.  Here's where yoga may help me some.

You know, sometimes I thoroughly regret not going to art school -- except that I feel that philosophy was also very good for me.  But, I felt so terrified of being "not good enough" in art -- because there are lots of mediocre people in it now, I think & I couldn't take a positive rejection in that area.  Do you know what I mean?  I sometimes think you may feel that way about your writing, huh?  I'm  sure you talented, but it's awfully hard to push & sell yourself?  It is for me. Linda really thinks I should take some of my things to shops around town & try to sell them -- but I don't feel ready -- Although I'm certainly not getting any younger.  She is constantly pushing herself to sell.  She's mostly involved in graphic arts, so gets jobs from area businesses.  But I just can't seem to ask people if they'd like to buy such & such, etc.  I usually wind up giving things to people when they say they like them.  Oh well...

I'm just sitting here with a glass of good beer & I'm also defrosting the refrigerator & also doing some laundry.  I know that any minutes things are going to catch up with me, by which I mean, the ice will start falling all over the floor, just as the dryer with the shirts in it gets finished & I should be there so they don't get wrinkled!  But til then, I suppose I'll just sit her & blabber on in my merry way!

About the macaroni.  I think there's really no comparison between homemade & store boughten -- just like most other things, I guess.  But it is a lot of work to make your own.  I usually do, but I don't do it too often for lack of time (& also inclination, to be honest).  Every once in awhile, brook will reminisce about Philly & my mother's cooking & I'll know it's a hint to please make some manicotti, or some such thing.  Anyway, in South Philly, my neighborhood had a neat little place to go.  This elderly woman made ravioli, cavatelli, canneloni, manicotti, gnocchi, etc. all day long & sold them fresh to the lazy people & they were very good.  It was nice while it lasted.  For ravioli, you really should get a ravioli cutter, whereas with manicotti, you don't need anything special.  The next time I see you, if you want to , I could show you some stuff.  It's not too hard, just time consuming.

I made a cheesecake yesterday & I thought of you & (you had asked for one last time I saw you), I guess I wanted to send you some, so....[drawing of a slice}.  It's the best I can do right now.  (heh, heh)

It looks as though Diane will be coming to see us pretty soon -- sans Paul & Bev.  Oh well.   Maybe next year?  Brook's parents are going to fly out for a week starting July 16th.  I'm looking forward to all this company, but I hope they're not bored.  This isn't that exciting of a place.  I did warn them at least.

On May 20-24, we're going to Salt Lake City for a little rest & relaxation!  Brook has really been working hard -- usually he's away 12-16 hrs/day & sometimes he has to stay overnight.  Last week, because of my working so much we didn't even see each other for 3 days!  We haven't had a fight for months!  I keep telling him we'll have to make an appointment & really have a good fight!! (Actually, I'm only kidding -- I'm not that feisty!)

Well, I guess this is the end.

P.S.  I don't expect you to remember my birthday.  I'm debating with myself whether or not to just make Apr. 27 another day to sort of "de-classify" it in my mind, you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment