Sunday, January 26, 2014

August 18, 1977


Thought I'd write to you on my "Harrod's" paper this time!  One of my friends has been in London this summer and has sent me goodies, this being among them.

Your bike sounds really nice!  I'm glad you got a chance to buy it.

Please rest assured --  I've read some of Boorstin's The Americans -- but only the 1st book about the Colonial Experience.  I wish I had more time to read right now, but after having lots of free time before I started work, I now have lots less -- especially since I've been getting into so much print-making.  I feel like I have a new career -- or at least a part-time one -- and a fairly lucrative one!  So far, I've sold 2 of my weavings, 2 water colors and about 7 of my prints.  And I have a few more orders now that I'll have to work on.  I'm especially happy that all this business has just come by word of mouth.  I keep meaning to get a bunch of stuff together & take it to a gallery here or maybe in Jackson & letting them sell for me but (and I'm not complaining) I keep selling things & I never seem to have enough left to bring to the gallery!  I showed one (my first) print to a guy at work that I'm friends with & he bought it & then several of his friends wanted them & then other people at Sears asked to see my other stuff, too.  So....it's been quite a 2 weeks!  I feel as though at least I won't starve if I need to support myself.  I've been looking at library ads lately & honestly, there are3n't too many who'd want me, I'm sure!!!  That scares me a little 'cause I don't think I'd enjoy selling pencils with a "thought for the day" printed on them on some street corner (as I had planned to do after grad from V.U. with my philosophy degree.)

Are you familiar with the Strathmore Paper Co. in West Springfield?  If not don't even read this next paragraph.  If so -- & if you ever go by there -- could you ask the prices of their rice paper?  I used to get it from Yasutomo in S. F. but they've gone wholesale & don't deal with individuals now.  I'd like to buy i bulk since indiv. sheets range from 57 cents to 95 cents here at the art store.  Maybe you could ask if they have a catalogue and/or samples?

If this is too much trouble, could you just send me the address?  I can't seem to find it!  I'm sorry I'm such a pest -- but of course, you already know that, by now, huh?  What a masochist you must be!  (heh, heh)

This guy at work, Ron Shaw, is really neat.  (I mentioned above that he'd bought one of my prints -- but that's not Why I think he's neat.)  Anyway -- he's really interested in words & I mentioned your job to him (he's an interior decorator) & he thinks it just sounds like heaven.  He said he saw a word once -- he's not exactly sure if he remembers how it was spelled, but it was probably Gallianacious (after some king Gallian, he thinks, who was an arrogant man.)  So -- anyway -- do you know what it means -- or if that's the correct spelling?  Of course, I know you love to do these little things, since you don't have anything else to do, huh?  Paul says, "*-/#....."

Paul, have you been keeping up with your piano practicing?

I'm really up in the air about where we will be after our trip to Calif.  Half of me (the stable half) wants to stay here & grow roots & build up an art business and develop friendships which I've started just recently, and the other, crazy half, wants to go -- just for the sake of going, somewhere, just to experience, you know what I mean!  I'm sure, also, this half wants to see people I can't see out here.  Of course, this crazy half will just hide when it's time to pack & move again.  That's one of my least favorite thing about going anywhere.  That, and finding another place to live -- which I don't enjoy, especially in a strange city.

Oh well, none of this ranting will accomplish anything.  We could stay here, I suppose, but Brook's 4 hours on the bus/day is starting to wear on us both.  If it weren't for that plus all the overtime, plus all the crazy hours, we'd like it here fine.  Right now, I'm awfully glad that we got the chance to come out there, but I want Brook to have more free time, which is very important to him.

So, time will tell, I guess.  My letters haven't exactly been profound lately, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment