Saturday, January 4, 2014

July 4, 1977 (Letter from Bev)



Happy July 4th!  Did you go away for the holiday or spend it in the Springfield area?  I've been housesitting since June 24 and couldn't go anywhere because I also have a dog to take care of. My family came here yesterday and we had a picnic then went to Valley Forge for a few hours.  It was a beautiful day and I only hope that today shapes up so I can get some sun.  It's been a very warm summer so far and I'm not looking forward to the hot, humid days of August.  It's hard to imagine how cold it actually was in January!

Did you receive my postcard from Williamsburg?  I enjoyed my short stay so much that I'm planning on going back next Spring for 4 days.  Two days just do not give on enough time. Plus I want to see Busch Gardens which we didn't have the time to visit.  There's so much to see in that area -- Jamestown, Carter's Plantation and Richmond isn't far away.  The pace of life is much slower down there and I think it would be a nice place to live.  Maybe when I'm hunting a job again I'll concentrate my efforts on a certain location instead of type of job.

I got my new car on April 21 and it's running well after a few minor problems were taken care.  I'm very disappointed with the way the car came from the factory.  The trim around the vinyl roof had to be repainted because the chrome was showing through.  Also, there's a big crack in the headliner and a new one had to be ordered.  I just had the car back at the dealer's on Tuesday to have the headliner installed, but when they took the new one out of the package, it too had a crack in it. Cars are not coming off those assembly lines like they used to.  You spend $5,000 for a new car and then wonder if you're getting a decent automobile for that huge sum.  I'm very pleased with the gas mileage.  On the Williamsburg trip I got 24 mpg and am averaging 19 around town.  I know that you're probably laughing at these figures since you must get about twice that with your Datsun.  I am pleased with it and hope that it lasts for at least 4 years.

I'm planning on taking General Chemistry at West Chester State College this fall.  I register on July 18th and hope that the course isn't filled yet.  I'm thinking that by taking some chemistry I'll be able to understand some of the terminology which gets thrown at me from time to time.  I've picked up a lot just on my own, but this course certainly won't harm me.  It may be a shore to buckle down and start studying again, but this will give me an indication as to whether I'm ready to go back to graduate school for another Master's or to go on for a Ph.D.  Drexel offers a Ph.D in library administration which requires only half of the credits in library science and the other half is taken in the business department.  Since Wyeth offers the 75% tuition rebate, I'd be foolish not to take advantage and go back to school.  It all sounds great on paper, but will certainly be a lot of work with holding a full-time job.

My assistant is on vacation this week and I'm on my own for the entire 4 days.  I've done all the work before when she took a day off, but I never get everything accomplished.  That library really needs 2 people to run it efficiently.  It will be a hectic week.

Are you planning a vacation this summer?  I don't have any time to take off.  I hope I survive until Labor Day!


I'm going to resume my reading of A Place to Come To out in the sunshine.  It's a good book, after the first 20 pages!

Keep in touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment