Wednesday, January 15, 2014

July 24, 1977 (Letter from Grayce)


The sun is relentless -- this paper is helping a bit -- to remind me that there are such things as trees, shade & bodies of water.

I forgot if  I mentioned to you that Brook's parents flew out here for a week to visit.  Of course, I was a nervous wreck for a whole week before -- and as a result I broke out in a rash.  On my hands -- fortunately.  It wasn't one you could notice.  It just itched!  I seem to insist on punishing myself.  I really think sometimes that I would have been a good cloistered nun!  (Except that I'd never be able to keep still & silent as long as they do!)  Anyway, all the worrying was for nothing, because it was a pleasant week.  I cooked "American" -- so there wasn't any problem with anyone not liking anything & Brook's mom made one of her scrumptious apple pies & I made a Boston creme pie, so we had plenty of sweets around (for which I feel guilty now, but .....)  I think they had a good time, but I don't think they liked the area much.  Brook's father thinks there's nothing better than Pgh. (just like me abt. Philly!!!), but after a year here, I've come to appreciate this place very much. I love seeing nothing but mountains & clouds & sky.  I think living in a city after this will fell awfully claustrophobic!

We did get to show them a reactor out in the desert.  (Not the one where Brook is, cause you can't get in there) but it was interesting to me because I learned a lot.  Our tour guide was a man  who does research in nuclear physics (and gives these tours for 1 month each summer) & he really had a lot of information & insight to share with us.  We were going to take them to Yellowstone, too, but it was so hot, none of us felt like riding 8 hours (4 each way) and then going down to Salt Lake the next day, which we did do.  We stayed there 2 days -- 3 nights, and got to see some things we didn't see the last visit.

Your idea for Spread Eagle sounds great & thank you for thinking of us.  We certainly will think about it.  Actually, we don't realty know where we'll be next year at this time, or maybe earlier. There's always the chance of a transfer for Brook -- or even of a new job offer.  Th is field is very open right now.  Brook has been approached by Rochester Gas & Elec. Co & they've asked him to come out for an interview, but he's not sure if he wants to or not.  It may not be [scrawl] (I do speak English) the type of job he wants to get into right now.  If he does take this job, though, we may get to see each other more often!  Everything feels very up in the air to me right now and I'm not sure I'm going to look forward to moving again after just 1 year.  I feel like a gypsy sometimes and I did want to be here for at least another year, to get to see some more of the area although we've done a lot on the little time off that Brook has.

Your American History project sounds like it's really interesting.  You must be so full of information.  Do you feel that the books, on the whole, present a truthful or distorted picture?  I mean -- even in this time, when so much is being supposedly "exposed" -- I don't believe the ordinary person, or even the historian gets anything like the whole truth.  So I'm just wondering about the earlier times & whether they've hidden much, which I'm sure they have.  But, I guess, my real question is, can you discern little gaps of information where you are puzzled by things that are left out?

I've heard a few things about the Revolutionary era, which puzzled me -- although I suppose if I did some extensive reading, most of them could be cleared up.  One of them has to do with a supposed murder at Jumonville (sp) which Washington was thought to have committed.  Have you reach much concerning this?  If so, maybe you could give me a concise explanation, lazy wretch that I am!!!  If you ever need Prevention info, don't hesitate to ask, and if I've covered your subject, I'll be glad to send any information along.  I was considering just buying Prevention Press' Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, but maybe I'll do that later.  I have less & less faith in doctors lately, not that I ever thought they were great, but I just feel that they do so much unnecessary surgery, and so many don't even want to hear about any drugless therapy.  Even pharmacists aren't open to natural healing -- which is understandable, I suppose, since it could put a few of them right out of business!!

I really like Am Heritage.  I've read quite a few of those -- mostly while I was at Seton Hill.

Well, this month I'm going to look forward to getting ready to exhibit my work in the Eastern Idaho Fesstival in Blackfoot.  So far I have a weaving and a watercolor, which both need some preparation before they're entered.  Also, I've completed my first lino cut, but haven't made any prints from it yet.  It's going to be called "Harmony", I think.  It's a picture of the moon & the sun, opposites, which reconcile themselves in the life force, which is depicted by a tree.  I'm awfully pleased with the cut itself -- especially since it's my first one.  I hope you can see it.  My next one is going to be a town scene, I think, but I haven't sketched it yet.  It's still in the vague stage & probably will be for awhile yet.  I don't like to "solidify" an  idea too soon, because once it's definite I find it difficult to picture changes in my mind anymore.  Unfortunately, I may not be here for the Festival itself.  (I'd like to be, to see how my things are received) but we may be going to California for 2 weeks beginning Sept. 1st.  (Not that I'm not anxious to do that, too.)  It just would have been nice to do both.  As it stands right now, Linda, my boss, may be able to take my stuff up to Blackfoot for me, so I guess I shouldn't complain!!

I hope we can see enough in 2 weeks to satisfy me.  So far, we're going to Reno first, then S.F. & some wineries, & a day at least to visit my friend Olga in Los Gatos & then down to L.A. & of course to Disneyland (Brook's main reason for wanting to do is to have my picture taken beside Mickey, I think!!)  On the way home, we'd like to stop at Yosemite Nat'l Park, if we have time. Sounds like a hectic 2 weeks to me, but that's all the vacation Brook gets, so...  Can you think of anything we really should see?  I think we're going to drive down the coast on the way to L.A.  I can't wait to see an ocean again!  (& to get in!)

Well, that's about all for now.

P.S.  I don't think I mentioned that my mom is working in my father's office now.  I think it's greate & it seems to be working out really well.  I think they're even closer now than ever & also it's given my mother some much-needed confidence in her own abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment